Sunday, December 6, 2020

Coconut Macaroons with Dark Chocolate Drizzle

I used to have a co-worker that did my Christmas baking for me.  As it's not something I love to make or eat, it worked out well for me.  This year the only person doing any baking for us will be us.  We do make shortbread, but nothing else.  I found this recipe and it looked easy which is right for me when it comes to baking.  And, my son loves anything coconut...

  • 1/4 cup egg whites 
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 ¼ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 35 grams 70% dark Lindt chocolate bar, broken up and melted in microwave

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.


Beat egg whites @ high speed in a mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar and continue beating until the meringue is glossy.  Below looks glossy to me...


Add almond extract and salt. With a spatula gently stir in coconut.  


Form the mixture into balls, using about 1 tablespoon each, and place on the prepared baking sheet.


Bake the macaroons until lightly browned on the outside but still soft on the inside, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.


Spoon melted chocolate into a small Ziploc bag. 


Snip off a tiny tip of one corner. Squeeze the chocolate through the hole and drizzle over the cooled cookies.


Let the cookies stand until the chocolate sets before serving or storing.


Son said they were "very macaroony", whatever that means.  He said they were good and enjoyed them.  They were sure easy to make, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment