Saturday, December 26, 2020

Christmas: Boneless Leg of Lamb Roast

Well this is a first for me on Christmas Day 🎅.  I don't remember ever making leg of lamb though I'm sure I have at some point but I do know I've never served it for Christmas dinner before.  Therefore; you see the reason I write this cooking journal.  😉  I got my roast from Costco.  It was Australian (I usually get New Zealand lamb) and it came netted so I didn't have much work to do with it other than seasoning.  

The theme with dinner would be lemon, fresh thyme and rosemary and garlic in all the dishes.   

  • 4.5 lb boneless leg of lamb
  • 1 stalk of fresh rosemary, sprigs stripped from stem and chopped
  • 5 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 stems of thyme, leaves stripped
  • 1 teaspoon Trader Joe's no-salt "21 Seasoning Salute"
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • 1 heaping tablespoon whole grain mustard
  • 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon organic extra-virgin olive oil

I took all of the above ingredients and spread it all over the netted roast.  I preheated the oven to 450°F and let the lamb go in on a rack for 20 minutes before turning it down to 325°F.  I did add a half cup of water to the pan in case the high temp made the coating drippings burn, which I obviously didn't want to happen.  

I was going for 140°F temperature and hoping for middle of the road "medium" done.  I personally like my lamb on the medium side more than rare.  I started checking with the meat thermometer after an hour in the oven.  It took about 90 minutes to reach the right temp.  When done, I took it out, let it rest tented with foil and cooked the lemon potatoes and green beans.  I also made a red wine au jus, separating the fat off the drippings first.  I removed the netting, sliced the lamb thin and plated.  This ended up being more medium-well to well done.  I'd pull it at 130°F next time.


The meal was very delicious, especially the lemon taters.  We enjoyed it all.  There is so much leftover, I will have to re-imagine it for something tomorrow.  I hope everyone had a safe Merry Covid Christmas.  



No comments:

Post a Comment