Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Gluten Free Peach Cobbler

I had company coming who eats gluten free, so I made this dessert for us.  I was dismayed to find that arrowroot starch was $10 at the grocery store, seemed like a huge rip off!!!  My friend grew the peaches in her yard which was amazing and said these were the last of them for this season.  They smelled so good sitting on my counter it was hard to resist eating them.  I followed this recipe:  The bold italic text below is for the peach mixture, the rest for the topping.



  • 5 large peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 lemon, zested and juiced
  • 3 tablespoons organic sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
  • 6 tablespoons 2% milk
  • 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
  • 3 tablespoons honey (she has bee hives and this was her honey too!)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 cups blanched almond flour
  • 1/4 cup arrowroot

The peaches peeled easily which was super convenient and saved loads of time!  


I coated a 9" x 9" baking dish with cooking spray.  I added the peaches to it, zest and lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and arrowroot.  I combined well.  I accidentally added the baking soda and salt too though other than making it a bit foamy, I hoped it wouldn't do anything else...


I preheated the oven to 400ºF.  I mixed the baking ingredients up and and spread the topping evenly over the top of the peaches.  


I used cooking spray on some foil and put that side down over the baking dish.  I left it in the oven that way for 30 minutes, then removed it and let the cobbler bake until golden brown. It bubbled over and burnt on the bottom of my oven, so a baking sheet underneath is a good idea that I wish I'd thought of.  I put one under after I realized, too little, too late...


I served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  


The almond flour made a great topping for this cobbler as almonds and peaches jive well together.  I don't think anyone would question the cobbler being "different".  It was delicious and I think a success.  My friend commented that the nostalgia of her grandma making this was that she added nutmeg, and I thought that was a great idea.  I'd add that next time.  Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment