Saturday, August 28, 2021

Spaghettini allo Scarpariello

Tomato season!!!!  Yay!!!  Yay!!!  I've been eating them every which way this month!  I didn't go to farmer's market today as I still had lots to use from last week's over buying.  I didn't have any more cherry or "sun golds" which is what you're supposed to use for this.  I just used all the super ripe tomatoes I had left.


  • 1 lb. spaghettini, cooked al dente (7 min) in heavily sea-salted water
  • 6 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 8 fresh tomatoes, cut the size of cherry tomatoes
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
  • Fresh basil leaves, torn, to taste
  • Crushed red chili flakes, to taste
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste  
  • Fresh Asiago cheese, grated (I would have used Parmesan but it appeared I didn't have any)

I heated the oil and sautéed the garlic and chilies first.  


Then I added the tomatoes, basil & S&P while the pasta was cooking.  


As the tomatoes simmered down, I added a ladle or two of starchy pasta water to help them.  


I combined the noodles at 7 minutes and another ladle of pasta water.  I cooked for another couple of minutes until everything was well mixed.  I plated garnishing with pepper, lots of cheese and more basil.


Without a doubt, this was the best meal I've made with the tomatoes this season, so far.  I will say that this dish should never be made with "hot house" tomatoes or flavorless mealy grocery store duds, it will not shine like this, so don't even bother...  The key is the sweet, primo tomatoes in season.  YUM!  Devoured this down as fast as I could...


No comments:

Post a Comment