Monday, February 28, 2022

Pork & Beans Casserole

I had leftover pork shoulder from our Sunday roast last night so looked around at what I had in my fridge/pantry.  I came up with this after pondering countless casserole ideas in my head made with rice, pasta or potatoes.  I finally decided on beans instead.

  • 2 - 3 lbs (?) leftover pork roast, cubed
  • 2 cans (398 ml) organic navy beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can (398 ml) pork n' beans
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds & stem intact, diced small
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 142 grams organic baby spinach
  • 1 can "Campbells" cream of mushroom soup
  • 150 grams organic baby spinach
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Worcestershire sauce, splash, to taste
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon mushroom umami seasoning
  • 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, for topping
  • 2 cups extra-old white cheddar cheese, grated, for topping
  • Italian parsley, coarsely chopped for garnish


I got my wok out as it would fit everything nicely.  I started by sautéing the onion, jalapeño and garlic in olive oil.  I went till the onions were browned as I wanted that extra flavor.  I added the pork at the end to try and give the meat a little crisp on it.  The beans, spinach, soup and seasonings went in next.  I combined till well mixed and checked to see if I needed anything else.  I did need pepper.  I used cooking spray on 13" x 9" baking dish.  


  I poured into the casserole dish.  I put this on a foil lined baking sheet.  


I sprinkled panko over the top followed by the cheese.  


This went into a 350°F oven for about 45 minutes, until heated through, bubbly and cheese melted and browned.  


I probably should have let it rest, but I didn't.  I served, garnished with parsley and hot sauce on the side.


Hearty, rich, comforting.  The cheese had a nice sharp zing to it.  This was really good, reminiscent to cassoulet, though a budget rendition of it.  On the other hand, it was an upscale fancy version of pork 'n beans!  😉

No comments:

Post a Comment