Monday, March 21, 2022

Hemp Heart/Almond Bread

I have a friend who can't eat wheat, rice or corn so it's limited in cooking for her.  I was making this dish and thought some sort of bread would be good.  I found this recipe but had to wing it with what was in the house.

  • 1 cup organic hemp hearts, and for sprinkling on top of bread
  • 1 cup fine almond flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 4 organic eggs, beaten
  • 3 teaspoons organic apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons organic olive oil

I preheated my oven to 350°F and used cooking spray on my smallest loaf pan.  This recipe should be doubled for a bigger loaf.  I mixed the dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls then combined them together with a spatula.  I poured into the loaf pan and sprinkled more hemp hearts over top.  I baked for 40 minutes.  I cooled before dumping out onto a plate (below).


Below is the top side:


We tried a slice to taste test.  I'm not sure the onion powder worked or was needed.  For sure this needed something sweet.  If I made it again I would add 1/4 cup of honey or maple syrup in the batter.  I put butter and honey on my son's slice and he said it was really good.  The texture was great, it just sorely lacked a hint of sweet to take the edge off the taste...



No comments:

Post a Comment