Thursday, March 31, 2022

Crock Pot: Coca-Cola Carnitas

We have been on such a taco binge lately, at least once a week.  I saw this on t.v. and decided to make it.  I have to laugh because the show was for budget "under $10" dinners.  The roast cost me $25 though it should have cost $10.  🙄  I guess I should just be happy I could find it in the grocery store today...

  • 3 lbs boneless pork butt roast, cut into 4 pieces
  • 1 cup "Coca-Cola" pop
  • 1 blood orange, juiced and zested
  • 1 lime, juiced and zested
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 chilies in adobo sauce, minced
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Warm stone-ground blue corn tortillas, cilantro, diced white onion, sliced radishes, cheddar cheese and lime wedges for serving


Season the pork all over with salt and pepper. In the crock pot add the cola, orange juice, lime juice, zests, garlic, chilies, cumin, onion powder and oregano and stir together. Add the seasoned pork and flip over in marinade. 


Cover and cook until fall apart tender -  5 hours on high for me, flipping once at half time.


Remove the pork and transfer to a foil-lined sheet pan, shred into bite size pieces. 


Spread out evenly in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with defatted cooking liquid.  Preheat the broiler to high. Broil the pork until browned and crispy checking every couple of minutes. 


Transfer to a dish and drizzle more of the cooking liquid on top.


Serve with warm or toasted corn tortillas, cilantro, onion, sliced radishes, cheese and garnish with lime wedges.


The carnitas were really delicious, super yummy.  No complaints at all other than I wish the spices came through more but I know that crock pots dull flavor, unfortunately.  The chilies in adobo were muted.  😔 Nevertheless it smelled like heaven while it was cooking, we were drooling.  I really should have toasted the tortillas in my cast iron pan but I was lazy.  I merely heated them in foil in the oven.  


I would totally make this again except I'd use the pressure cooker instead so the seasoning and flavors can shine through.

No comments:

Post a Comment