Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Shrimp Saganaki

This was one of my favourite dishes when I visited Mykonos, Greece.  I enjoyed it so much at this one restaurant, I went back and ate it again.  It blew my mind, how simple and delicious it was.  It was heavenly.  This restaurant was family run, the mom cooked and both sons worked "front of house" and they were super easy on the eyes...Below are both dinners.



I haven't made this for a while, but did make it when I got home from Greece a couple of times.  It was time to make it again.  I looked at recipes, and then sort of winged it on my own.  None of the recipes I read had green peppers or sundried tomatoes, but she clearly used them and so did I.  You could serve this over rice or pasta, but I think a piece of good buttered bread is sufficient.
  • 1 lb of shrimp (I used white pacific 26/30 count)
  • 1 Walla Walla onion, halved and sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 green pepper, halved and sliced
  • 1/4 cup of ouzo (I didn't have it so used Herbsaint which is also "anise" in taste)
  • 1/2 cup of white wine
  • fresh chopped dill (don't tell my son!)
  • teaspoon of crushed chili flakes
  • 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
  • handful of grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, diced (I still had these from a farm I bought them at in Greece)
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
  • crusty bread, sliced and buttered (I bought Calabrese)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
  • freshly cracked pepper
I sauteed the onion, garlic and green pepper in the leftover oil from the sun-dried tomatoes.


When they were soft, I added in the chili flakes, oregano, dill, grape tomatoes and the sun-dried tomatoes.



I stirred for a couple of minutes, then added the wine & Herbsaint.  After it cooked out a bit, I added the crushed tomatoes and the sugar.  I brought to a simmer and added the shrimp.


When they were just cooked pink I added a good cracking of pepper.  I topped with the feta cheese,  and put under the broiler for about 5 minutes.




I garnished with a touch of dill on mine and none on my son's.  I think I made a pretty close adaptation of her recipe.  Sooooo much flavour!!!  Pretty easy too, not much work to this and there isn't anything I would change about what I did tonight.  I am so glad I was reminded of Greece on the weekend and thought to make it again this evening.  I think I might start making company this dish from now on.

2 comments: