Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Black Tiger Shrimp Cobb Salad

I saw these huge black tiger shrimp at Costco (8 - 12 count) and decided I needed to try them to see what they were like.  I decided to make Cobb salad with them, along with my favourite blue cheese dressing that I make for my Wedge salad.   I decided to serve it on the side.  I made the dressing first and put it in the fridge.  After an hour or two, I had my son taste it.  He said, like I always say, it was good enough to eat out the jar with a spoon and nothing else needed.  I couldn't find chives today so used 2 green onions and it worked fine as a replacement.  I used, besides the shrimp, which I sauteed in garlic, butter & lemon:

  • A container of grape tomatoes, halved
  • 2 avocados, pitted, skinned & sliced
  • Mixed salad greens (Spring Mix)
  • 4 hard boiled eggs, quartered
  • Thick cut hickory bacon, 8 slices, sliced small
  • Fresh corn kernels sliced from the cob (about one ear), microwaved for 3 minutes with butter and S&P

The corn was already made and leftover from last night's dinner.  I boiled the eggs and cooked the bacon next.  I cooked my bacon on a baking sheet in the oven.  It was lined with parchment paper and I flipped the strips halfway through.

For my eggs, I put them in a pot and made sure there was an inch of water over top them.  I brought to rolling boil, removed from heat, covered and let sit for 12 minutes.  Then I drained the water and ran cold water over them until they cooled, then into the fridge.  Perfect eggs.  I chopped the tomatoes next.

When the shrimp were thawed, I peeled them and put them on a tea towel to drain and pat dry.  They were HUGE!  This was such a good price - to me, for $27.  Truth would be in the taste, but I was happy with what I saw at this point.


At this point, I started to plate.  I put a handful of salad greens on the plate and then made rows of all the ingredients.  I chopped the avocado last.  I was happy with the plating and the taste.  It all worked well.  The shrimp were succulent and delicious.  They only took a minute or two to cook after the garlic was sauteed in the butter.


So, the pic above was half the ingredients, or one plate (my son's) - but seriously, what I listed could easily make four full course meals...I didn't even bother assembling mine like the picture as I knew it would be a waste and waste of time.  My assembly went half into a container for lunch the next day and the rest on my plate.  My son ate his all though!

I was inspired to make this tonight when I saw this recipe a couple of days ago.  Next time I make it, I'll use lobster.  I love cobb salad and to me it's the ultimate with blue cheese dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment