Monday, June 6, 2016

Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats

I've been trying to eat "healthier" lately which to me means with less "carbs".  I saw this recipe and thought it looked good.  I based mine on it, but didn't follow it exactly.  I've made a few of her recipes and they've been very good, so I would have no hesitation in recommending it, even without trying it "her way".

I'm seeing lots of zucchini in the grocery stores so it was a good time too.  I think zucchini is best eaten raw so I didn't blanch/boil it like the recipe suggested to do.  I just scooped out the centres (with an melon baller) and chopped up the innards for the filling.  This was my first time doing this, and it works well, but I was a little too aggressive and broke a couple of pieces and didn't do it as pretty as the recipe pictures, that's for sure!  I did not spend any time trying to make sure it looked pretty, just hollow...


I sprayed "Pam" in a baking dish and then put a half cup of jarred habanero salsa on the bottom of the 8" x 13" dish.  I then placed in the zucchini halves.  I used four of them ( 2 & 1/2 lbs), and I had to put one of them (two halves) in a separate dish.

For my filling, I used:
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed small
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • Zucchini innards, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 8 oz package of New Mexico Taco Skillet Sauce
  • 113 ml can of diced green chilies
  • Handful of fresh chopped cilantro and then more for garnish
  • Freshly cracked pepper
  • Kosher salt

I sauteed this all in olive oil (veggies first, then I added the chicken), and then added the sauce, cilantro & can of chilies.  


I simmered for 10 minutes while the oven preheated.  The stuffing was very flavourful at this point.  I was happy with it.  I stuffed the boats.  


Then I topped with:
  • 1 cup grated Crackerbarrel Old Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup grated Kraft Monterey Jack cheese

I baked at 350°F for 45 minutes.  I garnished with more cilantro.


These were really good.  The zucchini was still tender crisp which I enjoyed.  I was stuffed (haha) after this serving and it felt "relatively" guilt free.  A keeper for sure when zucchini is cheap and plentiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment