Monday, June 20, 2016

Mexican Dreamboat Hot Dogs

I saw these made on "The Chew" last week with Pati Jinich, and I actually have her cookbook as I am going to try and make some of her Mexican dishes.  The recipe is here.  She told the story about them on the show which is what she tells in her cookbook "Mexican Today".  She said on the show that the one making the hot dogs was not a "hunk" though.  I've pasted the excerpt because I like the tale...


This is a really good book and I highly recommend it.  I thought I'd start with a recipe of hers other than hot dogs, lol, like "pozole", but this was a good recipe for a Monday, work night meal.  (Monday is NOT my favourite day of the week by any means).  I used Jamie Oliver's Tomato/Onion Sausages ($6) rather than the usual 'death dogs'.  I quite like these and buy them often at Safeway.  I also used his Kale & Chickpea Pilaf ($5) as the side dish and I added Feta cheese to it when it was done.

I started by doing the mise en plase for the "salsa especial".  I chopped the onion.  The Vidalias are no more in my grocery store, so I have Walla Walla now, which I love just as much.  I diced one and then seeded and diced the tomato.  I took out the jalapenos and probably double that was suggested (diced them too as they were super spicy and didn't want large rings of fire), sliced some Crackerbarrel old cheddar slices and then went to meat prep...

I had some double smoked slab bacon (from Costco) in the fridge, so I cut off slices to wrap around the sausages.


I debated putting them on the grill outside or under the oven broiler grill and decided the oven was easier so chose that.


I put in toothpicks to secure the bacon at each end.  I put them on a rack on top of a foil lined baking sheet.

I started to saute the onions when the sausages went under the broiler.  When they started browning, I added in the tomato, then the ketchup, mustard and jalapenos.


I flipped the sausages once, then took them out when done.  I put the cheddar into the sausage buns and melted the cheese under the broiler.


I loved the sauce, we both did!  Fried ketchup is great, I've made ketchup chicken before and there is something so delicious about it, kind of like sweet & sour sauce.  We ate ours with fork & knife as I put a lot of sauce on.  So, we both enjoyed this dinner a lot.  Thank you to Pati - I look forward to making the next recipe of hers.  I have never used tomatillos before, so perhaps...

No comments:

Post a Comment