Thursday, February 3, 2022

Seafood Chowder

I was inspired by this recipe by a Canadian Top Chef contestant.  I had to make my own version as my son doesn't like some things in it, including dill so I made it work.  Also, I wasn't splurging for lobster in the recipe either.  What I used:

  • 1.5 lbs baby yellow creamer potatoes, quartered
  • 2 organic leeks, cleaned, halved and sliced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 6 slices smoked Alderwood maple bacon, sliced thinly for garnish
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter and 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 stalks of organic celery with leaves, sliced
  • 1 can baby clams (liquid included)
  • 2 cups low-sodium organic "Better than Bouillon" chicken stock
  • 1 can smoked oysters
  • 354 ml can evaporated milk
  • 100 grams baby shrimp
  • 300 grams bay scallops
  • 250 grams fresh wild cod
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 tablespoon "Old Bay" seasoning
  • Fresh herb bundle of parsley, tarragon (I snuck one little stalk of dill in it), tied with twine
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • Zest of one lemon and one lime
  • Fresh cilantro, for garnish


In a Dutch oven I poured the oyster oil in and then sautéed the bacon pieces in it.  When browned and crispy I moved them to a paper towel and set them aside.  


I drained off the fat leaving a couple tablespoons, then added the leek, onion, celery bell pepper and garlic and sautéed till soft.  


I put in the butter and when melted added the flour, cooking it out to roux state.  I added the liquids, the clams, potatoes, the oysters which I smushed up with a fork (below) since my son will not eat them.  


I added seasoning, bay leaves, herbs and S&P.  I brought to a boil then simmered covered till potatoes were soft, about a half hour.  


I added in the scallops and cod next and simmered a minute or two till cooked.  I removed the herb bundle and bay leaves.  Lastly I stirred the baby shrimp in and added the zest.  I served garnishing with cracked pepper, cilantro, bacon and dill for myself.  



We thought this was really fine tasting chowdah!  No complaints on anything at all.  The fish was cooked perfectly and it was nice to happen upon a cod chunk here and there.  I loved the baby shrimp and scallops as well.  I wouldn't change anything.  


No comments:

Post a Comment