Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Bacon Fried Buckwheat Groats

This was my first time using groats.  I found this recipe and followed it exactly on how to make it like brown rice.  It was real simple; 2 cups groats, 3 cups boiling water and 5 minutes manual on high in the instant pot.  Natural release and let sit on warm for 2 hours.  I decided to stir-fry it for a side with smoked pork butt for dinner.  

  • 2 cups of groats (not sure how much it made when cooked but it made a lot!)
  • 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 3 slices of thick bacon, sliced into lardons
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, minced with innards and seeds
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 zucchini, julienned
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Fresh Thai basil, chopped coarsely
  • Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish

For the sauce I used some vegan miso paste with 1/2 cup boiling water, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, pinch of monk fruit sugar and a beaten egg.

I got my wok out for this.  I sautéed the bacon until almost crisp so it would provide the fat for the dish.  I added in the onion, pepper, garlic and zucchini and stir fried till fragrant.  

The groats went in next and when looking like "fried rice" I poured in the sauce and mixed till all combined and cooked through.  

I checked the seasoning and mixed in the basil, I added more soy sauce.  I served garnished with toasted sesame seeds.  

I have to say the cucumber salad and pork were really the stars of this show, I mean look at that bark/smoke ring!  🤩  The groats kind of reminded me of "fregula", at least in looks.  They were okay and I know they were healthy so that's what mattered.  I think pressure cooking them with broth would have been a better idea for more flavor.  I'll fry the leftovers in butter tomorrow and see how that tastes, maybe with a fried egg and runny yolk on the top?  Sad that I couldn't taste the bacon or jalapeño in this!  Next time I make groats, it'll be for breakfast...

No comments:

Post a Comment