Monday, June 6, 2022

Raisin Scones

I saw this recipe and used it as a guideline.  I thought I'd make my son some scones as he really likes them.  I was going to add cinnamon and vanilla but I forgot until after they were in the oven...

  • 2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
  • 1/3 cup monk fruit sugar replacement
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen and cubed
  • 1 cup raisins (I used half Sultana and half Thompson)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 large organic egg
  • Milk, for brushing scone tops
  • Organic coconut sugar, for sprinkling on top of scones

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.  Mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a food processor. Add cubed butter and pulse until butter resembles tiny beads.  Whisk sour cream and egg together in a small bowl until combined.

Pulse sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough ball forms. Remove from mixer and fold in raisins with hands.  (Next time I'd just pulse them real quickly instead.  I was worried about slicing the raisins up so that's why I didn't this time).  


Place dough on a lightly floured surface and pat/roll into a rectangle, Brush milk over the top and sprinkle with coconut sugar.  Cut rectangle in half, then cut each side in half again.  Crosswise slice each square into triangles so there will be 8 scones; place on the prepared baking sheet, about 1-inch apart.


Bake in oven until golden brown about 15 to 17 minutes, mine took 15.


Cool for 5 minutes; serve warm or at room temperature.  I taste tested these with some butter and jam.


They sliced well, weren't too dry and were pleasing to the palette.  My son loved them but he is biased.  I'd keep this recipe for sure and change the additions for variety which could be anything from sweet to savory.  

No comments:

Post a Comment