Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Instant Pot: Cuban Inspired Picadillo

Well I looked at Cuban Picadillo recipes until I found no more to peer at.  Each one was a little different from the other, raisins, no raisins, potatoes, no potatoes, etc.  I guessed the recipe varied from what part of Cuba you were from and likely that families have made it their own over the generations?  All recipes I perused stated this dish was served with rice... I took what I liked out of all of them and created my own, which was pretty much everything but the kitchen sink.  I was looking to make it sweet, spicy & salty:

  • 1.5 lbs lean ground beef
  • 1 dried chorizo sausage, diced
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • Organic extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 fresh "Kumato" tomatoes, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 2/3 cup raisins
  • 2/3 cup pimento stuffed olives, sliced crosswise
  • 1/4 cup capers with 2 tablespoons brine
  • 3 small yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 can organic tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • Worcestershire sauce, splash
  • 2 teaspoons organic cumin
  • 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
  • Fresh grated nutmeg, pinch
  • Crushed red chili peppers, to taste
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Fresh Italian parsley, chopped coarsely for garnish

Splash a bit of olive oil into instant pot and set to sauté.  Add the onions, bell pepper, chorizo, crushed chilies and garlic.  Stir until softened and then add ground beef.  Continue stirring till browned.  Turn off sauté setting.  Add everything else in and seal top.  


Set to manual pressure for 15 minutes and then natural release for 10, followed by venting.  


Remove bay leaves.  If sauce is too runny, set the sauté function and cook until desired thickness, mine wasn't.  I realized I forgot the red wine vinegar so poured that in at the end.  Serve over rice (I used basmati) but there is no rice in the picture below and garnish with parsley.  


Comfort food!  I loved this dish.  I shared with a friend as my son wouldn't touch it because of the olives.  I bet this even gets better tomorrow.  The vinegar finish at the end I really liked and I enjoyed when I got raisin pops, as well as the little potato bites.  I didn't get as much spice as I was hoping for though.  Yummy and super easy to put together!

No comments:

Post a Comment