Friday, June 17, 2022

Pit Boss: Reverse Sear Boneless Rib-Eye Steak

First steak on my pellet grill!  I seasoned them with Kinder's "Buttery Steakhouse" seasoning, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.  I brought them to room temperature for a half hour while the grill smoked and then set to 225°F.

My steaks were about an inch thick.  These were on sale at Costco but a sale these days doesn't mean much.  These three were $45 after the $5 off.  

I  was at 110°F in under 2 hours!  That was shocking to me when my meatloaf took 6 hours, lol.  So, I turned it down to the smoke setting and it sat at 114°F for a long time.  I let the steaks smoke until the internal probe, and my own probe said 120°F (below).  At 120°F the steaks still looked raw, but smoked so I took them off the grill.  I was going to trust the thermometers.  I have been known to overcook steaks and to me, ribeye needs to be medium-rare with the thermometer being king 👑.

I brought them in and charred them off on a stove top grill for the sear.  I was going for med-rare 130°F though it ended up more medium, maybe the resting time?  I'll pull at 110°F next time.  When done I let them rest tented in foil.  The reason I didn't do the "sear" on the grill itself is because I didn't want to do the clean up.  Easier to clean the grill indoors than inside the "Boss".  I find the Pit Boss has a lot of clean up without using it as a regular BBQ.  The pellets are expensive here in Canada and a good smoke goes through quite a lot.  I'd guess 10 lbs of pellets per smoke so far?  It costs $25 a bag for 20 lbs of pellets here with tax...


I served with tater tots baked with cheese and roasted green beans.

Dinner was DEELISH!  Steakhouse Superb!  What a treat, perfectly melt in your mouth steak.  Leftovers will become a steak salad tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment