Monday, May 30, 2022

Pit Boss: Smoked Meatloaf

I've dreamed of getting a pellet grill since they first came out.  When my neighbors recently bought a Traeger, I just couldn't stand it anymore.  I couldn't go one more day smelling that wonderful smoke wafting over the fence!  So I got my Pit Boss. It's brand new and I'm just learning it.  Meatloaf would be my first attempt at smoking after it rained when trying to do a roast a couple days ago and I had to move that to the oven for fear of wet pellets and auger problems...Pit Boss "Competition Blend" is what I have in the hopper.  I've done a regular grill of burgers and pork chops, but I really wanted to "smoke"... my "Pit Boss FB Group" said it should take about 3 hours total for 2 pounds, though, it's not the time it's the temperature, and each meat is different...



  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 lb ground pork
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 tablespoon mushroom umami powder
  • Fresh parsley, chopped coarsely
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, diced small with innards and seeds intact
  • 1 organic egg
  • Worcestershire sauce, few shakes
  • 1/2 cup crushed garlic, parmesan bread crumbs
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt to taste
  • "Sweet Baby Rae's" BBQ sauce, for glaze


I mixed all the seasonings in a bowl and then added the beef and pork and mixed by hand until well combined.  I pressed it into a loaf pan that was coated with cooking spray.  I turned it onto a quarter sheet pan with a rack on top.  I set the smoker to 225°F, put a probe in the middle of the loaf, then let it go till it hit an internal temperature of 145°F (4 hours and I checked with my digital thermometer just to make sure).  It was gray and a little windy outside and I was scared it would rain again...



Above is how it looked at 138°F as I was beyond hungry and tired now after 5 hours.  :(    


I brushed and glazed the meatloaf with BBQ sauce and set it to 400°F till it reached 160°F.  I tested with the digital thermometer again for accuracy.  The whole time took about 7 hours which was way longer than I hoped for for a 2 lb meatloaf, but it is what it is...at least it didn't rain!  I took the pan out and drained all the fat off.  I let it rest while I finished the rest of dinner and then served mashed taters with chives (from my garden)


Also plated was oven air-fried roasted Brussels sprouts done on a sheet pan with olive oil and "Everything Bagel" seasoning over parchment paper.


First off, I'd sauté the onions, peppers and/or whatever first.  Don't know why I didn't do it this time when I do it with every meatloaf?  But hey, my first smoke ring!  


The taste and joy of smoking was fun though very tiring.  In hindsight, I should have just cranked the heat up when I got tired of waiting for it to reach 145.  The only reason I didn't is I wanted to try the recipe I read.  The recipe I read on "how to smoke a meatloaf" also said to crank to 350 and I went to 400 just to get it done quicker.  It did get to 160 pretty quick once I turned it up.  I'll try again...

No comments:

Post a Comment