Monday, May 16, 2022

Salty Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies

I can't remember the last time I made cookies!  It's been a loooong while...  I saw Ina Garten making them on food t.v. and decided the salt looked so good, I had to make them too.  What I used:

  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 3/4 cup organic sugar
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large organic eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 & 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 & 1/4 cups organic old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 200 grams dark chocolate with almonds, chopped in chunks
  • 1 cup semi-sweet dark chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup dried Montmorency cherries, chopped
  • 1 cup walnuts, lightly smashed and toasted
  • Fleur de sel, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line sheet pans with parchment paper.  In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula. On low speed, add the vanilla, then the eggs, one at a time. Scrape down the bowl again.

Meanwhile, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. Mix in the oats. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter-sugar mixture. Don't overbeat it! 



With a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate and cherries, walnuts until the dough is well mixed. 


With a cookie scoop, dole out round balls of dough onto the prepared sheet pans.  I got two large sheet pans done and then froze the rest for another time.  


Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until nicely browned.  


Out of the oven, sprinkle lightly with fleur de sel. Serve warm or at room temperature.


My cookies got "secretary spread".  If I had known this, I would have spaced them further apart.  Regardless, I'm sure cookie lovers will be happy with them.  I tried one - the oval shaped one that slid on the parchment and lost its shape while I was checking doneness.  I found it terribly sweet though did like the salt.  I don't eat cookies so am not the best judge of them.  I had no cookie eaters present while typing this...

No comments:

Post a Comment