Thursday, May 12, 2022

Wild Black Cod (Sablefish) Broiled with Miso

Costco had wild sablefish so I picked some up as it was relatively inexpensive - a rarity in food these days!  I was inspired from a recipe by Mark Bittman I saw in the NYT making miso the star ingredient.  What I used:
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup organic vegan Genmai miso
  • 1/4 cup rice wine
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 inch nub of fresh ginger, peeled and grated on microplane
  • 2 cloves of garlic, grated on microplane
  • Dash of pure sesame oil
  • Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 3 lbs (whole) black cod (skin on), cut into fillets
  • Organic green onions, sliced for garnish


I had to cut the fillets myself!  I used to be okay doing whole wild salmon into two fillets back when it was plentiful and affordable,  years and years ago.  However it's been so long I barely remember how.  Thank goodness for youtube and at least the heads and innards were gone!  I didn't have the correct knife either and just used my medium sized utility knife and and sharp food scissors.  This fish also has pin bones so I sliced a "V" around them  and cut them out.  I left the skin on as I didn't want to risk more damage and we love the skin on fish anyway.  I scored it.  It was an "okay" job but I wouldn't have passed the grade if being scored on it!  


Combine all ingredients except black pepper in a measuring cup and heat in the microwave until warmed through and miso is dissolved (took me a minute); mixture will be fairly thin.  



Pour over and marinate fillets in an ovenproof baking dish coated with cooking spray, skin side up.  I did this for about 4 hours.  I poured off enough marinade to expose skin fully when I took out of the fridge and I flipped back to flesh side up and seasoned with pepper.  


Heat broiler to high; use lower rack.   Broil until sauce bubbles, cod begins to brown, until cooked through.  


Drain more marinade out, flip, and broil on top rack now until skin is crispy adjusting heat or rack position if needed.  Serve immediately.


I plated this with sautéed spicy garlic broccolini and buttery white grits cooked with niblet corn, scallions garnishing it all.  


OMG, this tasted divine and melted in the mouth like buttah, but even more transcendental than that - beyond a proper description in words.  You had to be here.  The marinade was present through the whole fish and had a perfect harmony in taste.  That being said, I'd use half the amount next time.  I could have ate the whole pan and nothing else.  The grits were delish as always and would be great with summer corn off the cob rather than the canned niblets I used.  The ironic item was the broccolini or trademarked as "tenderstem".  I sautéed it thoroughly with enough olive oil, chilies and garlic, finished with fresh citrus but the stems were too tough.  🤷‍♀️

No comments:

Post a Comment