Thursday, September 15, 2016

Apple, Kale and Feta Salad

I was making pan-fried fresh snapper fillets tonight and decided on this salad for my side...

I tweaked a couple of things from the recipe but mostly followed it.  To start, I stripped the kale off the stems and sliced it into ribbons and then bite size pieces.  For the massaging, along with the kosher salt, I also added a little extra virgin olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon juice.


I massaged until the kale was soft and changed brighter green in colour.

I made the dressing.  I used a microplane to get the zest off a whole lemon and added it to the jar.


I added the apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, about two teaspoons of unpasteurized honey and fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt.


I gave it a good shake and put this in the fridge until needed.

I sliced the red onion on a mandolin so I could get thin slices.


I soaked these in water and apple cider vinegar in the fridge until needed.  I drained them when they came out.

Next I diced a "Pink Lady" apple up.


That was it.  I tossed everything into the kale, including some walnut pieces, feta cheese and the dressing.


When mixed well, I covered with saran wrap and put it in the fridge until the fish was done.


Dinner was very simple and very delicious.  I especially liked the lemon vinaigrette on the salad.  The feta was good but I think goat cheese would be great.



2 comments: