Saturday, September 24, 2016

Spiced Krispies Treats

I got this recipe from a cookbook by Graham Elliot called, "Cooking Like a Master Chef: 100 Recipes to Make the Everyday Extraordinary".  Since Fall/autumn just rolled in, this recipe seemed timely.


I used to make these treats for my son when he was little but haven't in years.  I can't even remember the last time I made them to be honest.  I thought it would be fun to make them again with and with this "twist".  I cut and pasted his recipe below:


I followed the recipe exactly, except for the cardamom.  It turns out that I didn't have any, so I ignored it.  So I just used a big non-stick fry pan to do the whole dish.  First I sprayed the baking dish with "Pam".  I measured 6 cups of rice krispies into a bowl.  I put the butter in the pan.


I measured out the spices into a container (I used fresh grated nutmeg on my microplane).



Wow, it smelled gooooood when the spices hit the butter.  This was the easiest, cleanest prep of rice krispie squares I have ever done.





The mixture slid out of the pan and there was like a minute of clean up and then the pan was back in the cupboard.  I highly recommend doing it that way - literally no sticky mess to clean up in numerous dishes.



In the picture above, the bottom of the square is the top piece - I flipped it to show both sides.  These were really, really, tasty!  Those spices made such a nice spin on the usual.  Really worth doing and the brown butter was really key in this.  I'm glad I decided to make the recipe.  It reminded me to look through my cook books more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment