Saturday, September 24, 2016

Butternut Squash Casserole with Leeks, Prosciutto and Thyme

I saw this recipe and wanted to try it.  I thought about making it for Thanksgiving this year but I like my stuffing in the bird so decided to make it as the side dish this evening.

I am watching my cholesterol right now, so used "egg creations" in place of the eggs.  And, I used one cup of milk and one cup of half & half instead of all cream.  I also did a couple of other edits.  I used an onion and two leeks.  I used a mishmash off leftover breads (Country, Sourdough and French) and unlike the recipe, I left the crusts on.  I also topped the dish with Manchego cheese which is Mmmmm mmmm good.

I really dislike cleaning, cutting and peeling squash.  However, I really like eating squash when in season so I have to suck it up and do it.  So, first I scrubbed it clean, with dish soap and rinsed it really well.  I cut the top piece off and then sliced down the middle cutting it in half lengthwise.


Then I sliced it one inch half moons, turned it squash side down and cut the skin off.



I cubed it into pieces.  This method works well for me.


I put it in a bowl and tossed it with olive oil, fresh thyme, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.


I poured it out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and put it in a 400°F oven for about a half hour.  I took it out and let it cool.


I tasted a piece and it was so good, I could have just stopped right there and just ate it without anything else.

In the meantime, I sliced up the onion and leek.  I started sauteing it and then when soft, I put it aside.


I sliced the bread into cubes.


I mixed all the liquid ingredients in big bowl with some fresh grated Parmesan Reggiano and cracked pepper. I mixed in the bread and let it sit for 10 minutes.  Then I added all the remaining ingredients.

My IGA recently started carrying high end/gourmet deli meats like prosciutto so I was happy with this opportunity to try it in this dish.


I poured it into a baking dish sprayed with "Pam" and put it in the oven with the timer set for an hour.


I baked it at 350°F.  When that went in, I grated some Manchego cheese.  I took the casserole out about 10 minutes before the hour was up and sprinkled the cheese on.  It went back into the oven for its final moments.  When it came out, I let it rest for 15 minutes while I did the pork chops.


I served this with pounded out boneless loin pork chops pan-fried with salt & pepper.  I deglazed the pan with a bit of white wine, added a touch of cream and some whole grain mustard for the gravy.


I enjoyed the dish.  It was a little drier than I would have liked, but it's possible because of all the substitutions I made.  I would like to make it again with using the cream and real eggs, just to compare.  The prosciutto gave it a perfect salt ratio and the squash was terrific.  I found this recipe listed under "breakfast" casseroles even though the recipe itself didn't mention that at all.  Anyway, it would have been really great as that.  It didn't remind me as being a stuffing which I would have liked more...


No comments:

Post a Comment