Saturday, August 12, 2017

Blushing New England Fish Chowder

It's been a tough week.  I wanted something comforting but healthy.  I saw this soup and wanted to make it.  The "heat wave" was looking to end or at least cool down a little and soup to me is always comfort food.  I did a couple of changes/edits which are detailed below in my choice of ingredients.  It looks like a lot of stuff but I thought this recipe was not taxing on my time at all.

  • 1 half teaspoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Spanish chorizo, skin removed and chopped (I used one small link)
  • 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (I used 2 chipotles in adobo sauce instead)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 12 local baby "new" potatoes, in small dice (she called for 1 russet)
  • 900 ml no salt vegetable stock (she used seafood stock)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
  • 2 pounds white flaky fish fillets (she only used 1 lb.  I used sole and cod which were both on sale)
  • 1 cup cream or half-and-half (I used 0% fat cream which had zero cholesterol but is blasphemy for the recipe)
  • 1 stalk of fresh local corn, corn sliced off (my own addition)
  • 1/2 cup of chopped parsley & cilantro (my own addition and I threw it in at the end)
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch and equal part water, mixed up (my own addition)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped chives (for garnish)


I took the skin off the chorizo and cut it is as tiny as possible.  I sauteed this in olive oil and a tad of butter, in a dutch oven.


I removed it to a paper towel with a slotted spoon and set it aside in a ramekin for garnish.


I got everything else prepped and ready.  The soup would be done quickly once I got going - that was nice too.  There really wasn't that much mise en place, the chopping was over quickly.


I sauteed the onion in the chorizo drippings.  I added the chipotle and cooked that out a little.  Then everything else went in except the red peppers, parsley/cilantro, cream and fish.


I brought to a boil, covered and simmered for 15 minutes.  I then added the cornstarch slurry. When thickened, I put in the remaining ingredients.


I covered and simmered for another 10 minutes.  The slurry only thickened it a bit, but I was okay with it.  When the timer went off, I stirred until the fish broke up in large chunks.  I checked seasoning (needed more S&P) and fished out the bay leaf and thyme.  I served my sons in a sourdough mini bread bowl.  I just cut the top off and pulled out the insides.


It was so fresh, I could push it in and form into a bowl.  I got it fresh made out at the bakery today.  I buttered the top and put it on the plate.  I garnished with the chorizo and chives.


This was quite good.  The fish was the star and there was LOTS of it, which is why I didn't worry about the broth being thicker.  The heat was pleasant and smoky.  Bites of sweet corn and roasted red pepper balanced it.  The chorizo was just like crispy bacon.  My son loved this but I'm sure he did because of the bread bowl most.  He cleaned that entire plate.  This was quick and easy and almost guilt free.  Well, the one below is  😊.


No comments:

Post a Comment