Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Instant Pot: Stewed Chicken with Corn (Pollo Guisado con Maiz)

I saw this and thought I'd make it with the local corn that is on sale now.  I used bone-in, skinless chicken thighs instead of legs.  It's been a long while since I used my Instant Pot and I've only used it once, so it was time to try again.



We're having a bit of a heat wave too, so I was hoping the pressure cooker wouldn't heat the kitchen up too much.  I altered/changed her recipe a little - I was hoping not to get a broth and more of a sauce.  A lot of the reviews said it turned to soup.  I served my son's with basmati rice and I used mashed cauliflower for mine (I saw this new frozen item in the grocery store so thought I'd try it).

  •  8 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Fresh cracked pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
  • 1 heaping teaspoon of harissa paste
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 3 plum tomatoes, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish 
  • 8 oz can tomato sauce (no salt added)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon 50% reduced sodium "Chicken Better Than Bouillon"
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 3 corn on the cob, husked and halved (they were small)
I chopped all the veggies first.


I seasoned the chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.


I sauteed the onions, scallions, tomato, cilantro and garlic in olive oil until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. I added in the tomato paste and cooked it out.  I added the tomato sauce, water, Bouillon, harrisa, cumin and stirred. I placed the chicken in the sauce and topped with the corn.


I covered, locked and cooked on high pressure 20 minutes.  I did a natural release but clicked in the venting after 20 minutes.  We were hungry and I was tired of waiting.  The pin dropped after a minute or so.


Even with the reduced liquid, it was still too brothy like so I took out all the chicken and corn and set it to Saute again.  I added in a tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with the same amount of water and stirred it in.  I let it simmer for a couple of minutes.  It thickened nicely.  Honestly, everything in my "gut" told me to use less liquid, but I didn't.  It will take me some more practice and confidence...   I plated.  Below is my son's plate with the rice.


It was good.  It wasn't amazing.  The chicken was tender and fell off the bone.  Unfortunately, the local corn was just passable this time - wasn't the sweetest it could be.  At least, it too was tender.  The seasonings were spot on and I was glad it had a mild kick from the harrisa paste.  That and the cilantro were my favorite part of it all.

I will keep experimenting with the "instant pot".  I think while this heat wave is on, it will be a good excuse to test out more pressure cooker recipes.  P.S.  The mashed cauliflower was okay - a step up from wallpaper paste.  I'd buy it again for convenience, maybe...  Below was my plate.



No comments:

Post a Comment