Sunday, July 30, 2017

Italian Wedding Soup

My freezer was getting full of chicken carcasses so I had to make some broth.  And oh my, the broth I made was sooooo good, I had to make sure I made something that enhanced the flavor and showed it off.  I decided on this soup - one of my all time favorites when dining out and I see it on a menu.  I've only made a mock one before and I wasn't very impressed with it.  I'm always looking for escarole or curly endive but never find it.  I looked again this time but had to settle on local curly kale.  Here's what I used:
  • 1/2 lb of extra lean ground beef
  • 1/2 lb of extra lean ground chicken
  • 1 egg, for meatball mixture
  • Italian parsley, chopped finely for meatballs, chopped coarsely for garnish
  • 1/4 cup Kraft Parmesan cheese for meatballs
  • 1/4 cup of Panko breadcrumbs for meatballs
  • 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated for garnish
  • 1 bunch of curly kale, stalks removed and sliced thinly
  • 1 onion and 1/2, diced for soup, minced for meatballs
  • Small bunch of baby carrots, sliced
  • 2 stalks of celery, sliced
  • 5 cloves of garlic, minced (2 for meatballs, 3 for soup)
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup Acini di Pepe (I'd cut to a half cup next time)
  • 10 cups of homemade chicken broth (I had more put aside in the fridge in case the pasta and/or kale stole too much of it)

YAY, the broth was ready when I started.  I was so glad I made it a couple of nights before, made it so much easier today.  It sat in the fridge and I took off all the hardened fat with a spoon.  I was left with a gelatinous bone broth.


So, I started with the meatballs which was really the only "chore" today.  I put the half onion, garlic and parsley into a food processor and let it spin until super fine mince.


I mixed it by hand with the meat, Parmesan, egg and Panko and S&P until all incorporated.  I used a melon baller to make the balls and rolled them with wet hands (easier and doesn't stick).  I also rinsed the baller between each scoop.


I put them on a baking sheet, covered with wrap and put them in the fridge until needed.  I chopped the kale next.  I set it aside.



I chopped the carrot, onion and celery and put into a fry pan with olive oil.


I cooked until translucent and added the garlic in.  I stirred for a couple more minutes then deglazed with a ladle of stock.  I added this all into the soup pot.  I brought to a boil and added the meatballs and pasta.  It was full so it was good I had taken some stock out first.


I covered, then lowered to a simmer for 20 minutes.



At that time I added the kale.  I covered and simmered for another 10 minutes and then served.  I put fresh cracked pepper, parsley and a good sprinkling of Romano cheese on.



For me, this was the soup dreams are made of.  I adored it!  The broth got even better with the meatballs cooking in it and they were delicious.  My son just turned to me and said, "I'm so happy right now, thank you mom".  That made me happy!  😊  Love through good food from the heart...

No comments:

Post a Comment