Sunday, July 2, 2017

Tomahawk Bone-In Rib-Eye Steak

I have eaten very, very little beef or pork in the last 6 months.  Nothing more than a burger here and there for beef.  I've eaten less beef than pork (bacon I still have to do once in a while, even if it's just 2 slices instead of 10).  Being half way through the year, I deemed this cheat weekend.  This was my take on a steakhouse dinner.


I saw this beautiful piece of meat at Costco and couldn't resist.  I mean, in a steak house you'd pay a lot of money for this baby, probably around $80 or so.  I paid $30 and it would serve two of us easily.  My steak weighed 29 oz or 1.8 lbs.  Of all steaks, rib-eye is my favorite, probably because it's the most fatty...and why I don't eat beef and pork much now.

I decided I would grill it first and then finish it in the oven.  For sides, I decided on garlic green beans, sautéed portabello mushrooms and some homemade garlic, cheese bread made with fresh French bread and grated cheddar & cheese curds.  I got the bread started first.  I mixed some unsalted butter (4 tablespoons) with 3 minced garlic cloves and sliced the loaf down the middle.


I buttered both sides, closed it and sealed in tinfoil.


I grated the cheese and mixed it with curds.  I covered it and put it in the fridge until needed.

I did the mushrooms next.  I used 2 portabellas and removed the stems (into the freezer for stock).  I sliced them and then halved the slices.  I figured I could cook them till almost done and then reheat them when dinner was almost ready.  I did them very simply with extra virgin olive oil, a pat of unsalted butter and S&P.


I stir-fried until nicely browned.  I kept eating them as they tasted so good and before I knew it, they were almost gone.  I had to cut up another 2 and do it all again so there would be enough for dinner!  I covered the pan with foil so I would stop dipping into it!!   Ought of sight, out of mind I figured...

I brought the steak to room temperature.


I brushed it with some extra virgin olive oil and seasoned well with fresh cracked pepper and lots of kosher salt.


I heated the cast iron grill and my oven to 375°F.  I put the garlic bread in.


I seared the steak for 4 minutes per side.  The house did smoke up because of the lousy stove top fan I have, but with doors open, no fire alarms went off.


I put it onto a rack, on a foil lined baking sheet.  This went into the oven and the garlic bread came out.  I set my timer for 15 minutes.  My meat thermometer didn't work, I discovered when I took it out!  I let it rest for medium rare hopefully, while I finished the veggies.

I warmed the mushrooms and heated another skillet for the green beans.  I stir-fried them first in hot extra virgin olive oil.  We like our beans done crisp but if you like them soft, you would blanch them first and then put them in ice water until needed.


I then added in the shallots and garlic, I had thinly sliced.  I seasoned with S&P.

When the steak came out I covered it with foil and set it aside.  I put the oven on broil.


I put the garlic bread on a baking sheet and sprinkled the cheese over each side.


I put this under the broiler until the cheese was nicely melted and starting to brown.

I sliced the steak.  I tasted a bite and it was really rare.  I put it back in for another 15 minutes.  I rested again for 10 more minutes.  I sliced again.  Now it was perfect, or how we both like it.


I plated.


The beef was very, very tender.  This meal was very simple but satisfied immensely.  I like meals where all that is needed is salt and pepper.  This was one of them.  I gave the bone to a neighbor's dog so I felt good it didn't go to waste.  Nice dinner for sure.

Edit:  July 3rd:

My neighbor sent me a picture saying I made a dog very happy this morning.  😊


No comments:

Post a Comment