Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Summer Minestrone Soup

I have never made minestrone soup before, ever.  I never eat minestrone either.  The reason I am calling this "summer" soup is because it's summer.  😜  I threw a zucchini in, so there, that makes it summery.  I had a bunch of veggies in the fridge and I had to use them.  I had planned other dishes, like for my eggplant, but never ended up making it and it was starting to get soft so I had to use it up.  This would be a mishmash of veggies that needed to go out of my fridge.  Here's what I rounded up:

  • 2 small eggplants, cubed small
  • 1 half bunch of kale, stalks removed and chopped roughly
  • 1 large stalk of celery, sliced
  • 1 large Vidalia onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 large carrot, halved and sliced
  • 4 vine ripened tomatoes, large dice
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced large
  • 1 zucchini, quartered and sliced
  • 1 leek, light green and white ends, halved and sliced
  • 1 handful of green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces
  • 1 can cannellini beans (14oz), rinsed well
  • 1 large Parmesan cheese rind
  • 2/3 cup Acini di pepe pasta
  • Few stalks of fresh thyme
  • 1 large stalk of basil and more for garnish
  • Pinch of crushed chili flakes
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt
  • 8 cups of vegetable broth made with "Better than Bouillon" vegetable base.
  • Fresh Parmesan Reggiano cheese for garnish
Oh boy, choppy choppy choppy - story of my life...My absent sous chef was even home so I of course teased him.  He didn't budge and told me if I asked him again, he'd go to bed early.  😏  I started by sautéing the onion, celery, garlic, carrot, bell pepper and leek.


I added the eggplant next.


When all cooked down, I added the rind, the stock, the herbs, chili and S&P.  



I stirred good, brought to a boil and then simmered 15 minutes.  The final ingredients went in next:  pasta, beans, green beans, kale, zucchini and tomatoes.


I simmered again for another 15 minutes and then it was ready.  I took out the rind and herbs and served, though a lot of the rind melted so it was hard to find.  I garnished with the cheese and a bit more torn basil.


This had awesome flavor and excellent broth.  I love broth best in a soup and this delivered.  The cheese rind really excelled in there tonight.  Wonderful and the soup didn't cause too much guilt either, it felt healthy.  I love that pasta too, those little tiny Acini di pepe.  Reminded me of my favorite Italian Wedding Soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment