Saturday, June 17, 2017

Vivian Howard's Fresh Corn Roasted in Chicken Drippings

I am waiting for our local Chilliwack corn to come in season, but it's still too early yet.  I love this stuff.  Sweetest and bestest corn ever.  So, I bought "other" fresh corn today (not local) as I was inspired to make this recipe.



The simplicity of it all appealed to me.  Plus the chicken was on sale and really cheap, so I couldn't wait to make it.  It serves 4 and below are her words - between the lines.  As I've said before, buy her cookbook!!!  Nugget potatoes are in season and available now, so I served those too, just boiled and tossed with some unsalted butter, chopped parsley and S&P.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHEN I STARTED WRITING THIS BOOK, my sisters had a lot to say about which family heirlooms to include. One dish from my grandma Iris kept coming up: corn roasted under a chicken. Problem was, I had never eaten it, and no one could give me a straight answer about how Iris made it. But Currie, the queen of memory and details, described corn that was savory, caramelized, chewy in some places, creamy in others, and spicy with black pepper. This description— and the way Currie looked when she talked about it, twirling her hands in a wizardly motion reserved for things that are greater than the sum of their parts— made me determined to figure it out. This dish is deceptively simple, and, like my mom’s chicken and rice, it goes against what I consider to be “correct” cooking technique, but it pleases anyway. The pan, the temperature, and the size of the chicken legs matter very much here.
  • 4 chicken-leg quarters, about 10 ounces each (this means drumettes and thighs attached) 
  • 3 teaspoons salt, divided 
  • 30 turns of the pepper mill or scant 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided 
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 
  • 4 cups fresh corn 
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar 
  • 4 thyme sprigs
Preheat your oven to 400 ° F and season both sides of the chicken with 2 teaspoons salt and 10 turns of the pepper mill. In a 12-inch skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat until it shimmers. Add the chicken, skin-side down, to the pan and let it begin to brown slowly. You do not want the oil smoking, volatile, and wild; the process should sound like a gentle rendering of fat and caramelizing of skin.

As the legs brown, toss the corn with the remaining salt, black pepper, and sugar. Spread it out on a 13 × 18-inch baking sheet with no more than a 1-inch lip. The corn should reach to the edges and be in a ½-inch layer. Put the 4 sprigs of thyme on top of the corn to mark the spot where you plan to lay the chicken.

Once the skin side of the legs is golden brown, lay the chicken skin-side up on top of each sprig of thyme. There should be an inch or two between the legs. Slide the sheet pan onto the middle rack of your oven and roast for 45 minutes. I know that sounds like a long time, but chicken legs can take it, and the corn requires it.

When you take the chicken out of the oven, the corn should be cooked inconsistently over the pan. The edges will be dry and caramelized and the corn under the chicken will be juicy and fragrant.

Remove the leg quarters. Set them aside and discard the thyme. Using a spoon or spatula, stir all the corn together and serve under the chicken.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cut my corn the way I've seen it done on cooking shows.  I turned a ramekin over and placed it in the middle of a big bowl.  I put the ear on top of the ramekin and sliced all the corn off.  It went well - a few pieces flew off on their own every now and then, but it was not painful.  I just had to watch the cobs from slipping off the ramekin while it was standing straight and I was slicing it off.


Other than that, everything fell into the big bowl.


I used 5 ears as I wanted to be sure I had enough.  I lucked out, the corn was super sweet and delicious!  I could have eaten it raw.  She didn't say to do anything with the baking sheet and I guessed the fat/juices from the chicken would be fine for making the corn not stick.

I started the chicken.  I did mine in my cast iron pan, heated with avocado oil.


I actually got 5 pieces for $7 in my package so used them all.  It took me two batches to brown.  I thought it was weird she only browned one side, and in the end, I had to flip it and do the other side.  Maybe I just wasn't reading her recipe correctly and was being too literal.  Maybe she meant to brown both sides???  I got the corn and thyme ready.


Some chicken pieces browned nicer than others, but I hoped it would all work out in the oven.


I put the timer on.  I made the potatoes while the chicken baked.  When it came out, it looked great.  There was caramelized corn at the edges, just like she said.



It smelled wonderful, it tasted better!


I don't even have words for how good this dinner was tonight!!!  It was mind blowing.  That is why I love simple food with quality ingredients.  That corn was a showstopper.  It was so sweet, I didn't even need to add the sugar her recipe said to.  Give it a try - you won't be sorry...For me, when corn is in season - this recipe will be on my agenda...

No comments:

Post a Comment