Thursday, June 22, 2017

Cauliflower Crust Pizza

I didn't make the crust but there are many recipes out there.  I even have one bookmarked, though I haven't tried it yet.  I know my friend tried a recipe once, but it wasn't the most successful outcome.  Lucky for me, Trader Joe's sells them!  $3.99 USD.



My son was working late tonight which was good, as he wouldn't eat this, so it was just for me.  I used some organic strained tomatoes for the sauce which has no salt.  I also used some nitrate/preservative free ham (also from Trader Joe's).  Here's what I used for my toppings:
  • 1/2 cup organic strained tomatoes
  • Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Pinch of crushed red chilies
  • 1 teaspoon Greek oregano
  • Red onion slices, thin and to cover pizza
  • Black Krim tomato slices, enough to cover pizza
  • Ham slices, enough to cover pizza
  • 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese
  • Couple of handfuls of arugula, lightly tossed with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil
Basically the crust instructions are simple.  


At super high heat (450°F) cook one side from frozen for 10 minutes - do the bottom side up first.  Flip and do the same for the other side.  


I was nervous to flip it, but it went okay.  It wasn't as brown as I was hoping for...I added the toppings.  I started with sauce and spices.


I added the cheese next.


I finished with ham, onions and tomatoes.


I broiled for 10 minutes.


I topped with arugula at the very end after it was out of the oven. 


I thought it looked very pretty and appetizing.


The crust was excellent as far as I was concerned and was crispy around the edges.  I used a fork and knife, though after I went back for seconds, the crust could be picked up no problem and eaten like a slice.  This really felt like I was splurging but it was so nice to know there was no carb overload at all.  It isn't carb free but I was fine with that.


Delicious.  This fine item will be a regular on my Trader Joe's shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment