Monday, June 19, 2017

Turkey, Pinto/Cannellini Bean Chili

Today found me "under the weather" and at home.  Looking around at what I could make for dinner, I found some frozen turkey in the freezer and pinto beans in the cupboard so decided on chili.  I thawed the meat.  I discovered a bunch of good ingredients I could utilize for it.  I used:

  • 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
  • 2 cans (10oz each) Rotel diced tomatoes with chilies
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, diced with seeds & innards
  • 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
  • 1 jar of organic low sodium strained tomatoes (24oz)
  • 2 cups leftover french onion soup broth (this was frozen and I thawed it)
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2 cans (15oz each) of low sodium organic pinto beans, rinsed well
  • 10 pieces of okra, chopped into quarters, ends trimmed
  • 1 large red onion, diced
  • 5 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 can (14oz) cannellini beans, rinsed well
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 stalks of celery, diced
  • 3 tablespoons Mexican chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
  • 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
  • Grated old cheddar and sliced green onions for garnish
I did all the prep work first, so I could just stir and add everything as needed once I started cooking.  That took all the time but I did it in stages and took my time since I was home all day and in no hurry.  My son worked till late tonight so there was no dinner time.


I put some avocado oil in a dutch oven.  I stir-fried the onions, jalapeno and then garlic.  


I added in the turkey.  When it was browned, added the tomato paste and cooked it out.  I mixed in the spices, then I added in everything else.  


I brought to a boil, lowered the heat and simmered for an hour.  


Wow, the cinnamon imparted a lot of flavor - I was surprised.  The heat was mild, but it was there.  Overall, it was decent.  Not one of my best, not one of my worst...



No comments:

Post a Comment