Sunday, June 18, 2017

Vivian Howard's Fried Okra Hash

I found fresh okra at the market yesterday and was so excited.  I thought about Vivian Howard's recipe and decided I should try it as I always make "gumbo" with okra when I have it.  Time for a change!  She does a whole wonderful chapter about okra in her book, and yes, you should buy her cookbook.  😊 This was very simple and I made it as a side for dinner this evening, which was leftovers from last night (chicken & corn).



  • ½ cup cornmeal 
  • 1 teaspoon salt, divided 
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne 
  • 2 cups of okra sliced ⅓ inch thick (about 15 medium okra)
  •  ⅔ cup vegetable oil (I used avocado oil)

  • Her instructions were pretty simple - wash, cut, mix it up with the dry ingredients and fry on med-high heat.



    She did say to use a cast iron pan.  She said to fry in an even layer for 4 minutes.  Then to toss and fry for another 4 minutes.  Drain on paper towels and season with more salt.  Call it a day, ... or dinner...

    I washed the okra well and then cut it into thirds.


    I learned from reading this chapter in her book, that the tops were edible as well, but these wanted the "slime" to make the cornmeal adhere, so I cut the stems off.  I tossed it...hmmm, none of the coating seemed to stick, and I mean none.  😞


    So, I put a little water in and mixed it up again with my hands.  It seemed a bit better...  in her pictures of the mix, the cornmeal was white too...so that is something I haven't heard of or seen here - yet.  I found it at Anson Mills and will order it the next time round.  Anyway, I started doubting my prep of this, as her description of her memories just sounded so much better, lol.


    I heated the oil.  I wondered if she pronounced it "awl"?  😉 When one piece sizzled, I put the rest in (including the extra cornmeal) and set the timer for 4 minutes.


    I stirred it at that time and reset the timer again for the same time.


    I scooped it out to a paper towel lined plate and seasoned with Diamond Crystal kosher salt.  The stray cornmeal did meld into clumps as she said, so they were easy to get out.


    My doubts were unfounded.  I asked my son to try one before I gave him any and he asked for a normal serving of them, so he really liked them too.  He said that while the Southern food might be good, it was me cooking it that made it great.  How nice is that???  💖 The okra wasn't slimy and the crunch of the cornmeal was great texturally.  The seasoning was perfect (simple) and I must have had the oil temperature correct as there was zero oiliness to it.  Another success, thanks to one of my favorite Southern chefs - Miss Vivian...  Okra has a place in my home always.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment