Sunday, June 4, 2017

Red Beans & Rice (Cauliflower Rice)

This is such a comforting dish.  I am familiar with it from New Orleans and have made it at home before with the legendary Camellia beans.  It is a Creole meal, traditionally served on Mondays there.  This would be our Sunday dinner tonight.  I have made it before and it is very carb heavy which is why it is comfort food, I guess.  To make this less carby, I was going to use cauliflower for the rice.



I still made my son regular white rice as I knew he wouldn't be a fan of the veggie stuff.  I got this recipe from America's Test Kitchen on PBS.  I found the recipe here online.

I had some chicken andouille that I got from Trader Joe's for this recipe.


I also cheated and used canned beans (three 19oz tins which I figure would almost equal 1 lb of dried) this time so I  didn't have to soak them.


I had the show recorded on my t.v. still so watched it again before I made this tonight.  I sliced 4 strips of thick bacon and put them into a dutch oven.  I stirred until almost cooked.


I added the "holy trinity" next and stirred until soft.


All the spices went in next (I used double the cayenne).  These smell wonderful when mixed in.  Then the liquids and beans (which I rinsed really well with water) went in.


I brought to a boil and then simmered for an hour.  I mashed the beans a bit at this time.  The recipe didn't say to, but I wanted to as it seemed pretty soupy.  I also put some hot sauce in.  The andouille and vinegar went in and I simmered again, uncovered, for another 30 minutes.


I made the rice and cauliflower rice.  Below is the cauliflower rice when done.


Thank you Trader Joe's for making low carb options so easy - if only they would come to Canada!!!  I chopped the scallions.


When done I added a splash of more vinegar.  I removed the bay leaves and served.  I doused with Louisiana Hot Sauce and sprinkled the green onions over.  In the end, it was still too soupy and I realize that was because the beans didn't soak the liquid up, I should have reduced that.  I wished I thought of that while making it - I would have cut the water to 3 cups instead of 6.  Oh well, I know for next time.  I just used a slotted spoon for the beans/sausage and then a soup spoon to ladle some broth over.


It was very good.  Spicy and comforting and I liked the cauliflower rice - I didn't miss the other stuff at all.  It absorbed the broth and made the dish thicker.  That chicken andouille is really tasty as well, though I do like the pork stuff better.  I'm going to re-do this dish again, but reducing the liquid as I said earlier.  Or better yet - I'll get some Camellia beans and make it the proper way.  Comfort food...Mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment