Sunday, July 23, 2017

Slow Cooker Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe

A couple of weeks ago, I bought some bottled "Jerk" stuff and marinated some wings.  The outcome and taste was horrible and didn't taste anything like I had in the Caribbean.  I decided to try making the seasoning myself and found this recipe which looked like it had potential.  I actually wanted to use thighs this time but none were at my grocery store which I have never seen before, so I went with drumsticks like the recipe called for.

  • 10-12 chicken drumsticks
  • 10 scallions, chopped coarse
  • 4 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1 onion, peeled and chopped
  • 2 habanero chilies, stemmed and seeded
  • 1 tbs. fresh ginger 
  • 1 tbs. thyme
  • 3 tsp. allspice
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom 
  • 1 tsp. coarse salt
  • 2 tsp. black pepper 
  • 3 tbs. molasses
  • 1/4 cup avocado oil 
  • 2 limes, sliced
I was worried about the habaneros, even if they were stemmed and seeded...


I decided to try only one this time, though I did buy two.  I've never used them before so this would be a first.  I think this was a good decision, as when I cut it open and scraped out the innards, my eyes started watering and my throat caught the heat and I started coughing like crazy.  I mean - HOT !!!


I didn't know what the differences were between the types of molasses on display, so I bought fancy - it was also the most expensive.


I learned when I got home and googled, that it meant it was sweeter.  I thought (hoped) it would be okay to balance the heat. I put everything together in the food processor besides the limes and it tasted pretty good and not spicy at all.  Maybe I did need two?  Time would tell.



I whirred the marinade together in the food processor.


I put the chicken into a ziploc and then half the marinade which was a cup.


I massaged it all in then dumped into the crock pot.


I set the timer to 6 hours on low and that was that.  I covered the remaining marinade and set it aside.  


6 hours later I transferred the legs to a parchment lined baking sheet.  There was tons of liquid in the crock pot now.  I was glad to get it out of there.  I coated with the reserved marinade.


I put under a broiler until the skin was grilled and then flipped.  I did the same to the other side.  


I served with some farro that I stir-fried with green onions, zucchini and tomatoes.  I garnished the plate with some lime slices.


This definitely tasted better than what I used in the bottle.  Was it like I had in the Caribbean?  NO, however, that being said, I'm not on vacation and I didn't grill it either.  It would have fell apart on a grill after being in the crock pot.  Yummy and not too spicy though it still had some heat.  It was perfect for my mood today and I think two would have made it too much for me... Don't forget the lime - it picks the flavors up nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment