Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Southern Tea Room Chutney Chicken Salad

This really was a "Waldorf salad" with chutney, and pecans instead of walnuts.  It seemed like a good dinner for this hot weather we've been having and I liked the idea of the chutney.  I bought my rotisserie chicken from Costco and used the whole thing.  Below are the recipe ingredients with my own amounts & spin on them - I added the lime.

  • 2 stalks of celery, sliced
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
  • 1 lime, I rubbed the exposed apple with the juice and then squeezed the rest in
  • 100 grams cup of chopped pecans
  • 2 cups red and green seedless grapes, cut in half 
  • 3 heaping tablespoons of mayonnaise, (I used Hellman's half fat olive oil) or to taste
  • 2 heaping tablespoons of a homemade or commercial fruit chutney, or to taste
  • Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
  • 4 cups of chopped cooked chicken
  • Freshly baked croissants
  • Butter lettuce
I cut all the ingredients up first.


I mixed it all up with everything but the pecans.  I added those last.  I put it in the fridge to let it "marry" for an hour.  For my son's, I served it on buttered croissants with some butter lettuce.



I cut his in half before I served, but that didn't look as pretty, lol.


For mine, I served it in lettuce cups.  This was delightful!  It was bright, fresh, crispy, crunchy, flavorful and had oodles of different textures.  The chutney really added the extra "something" to this.  This was a good idea tonight - no stove or oven needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment