Saturday, August 5, 2017

Hong Kong Style Baked Tomato Pork Chop Rice

This is probably what I order every time I go to a "Hong Kong Cafe" in town here.  I've pretty much stopped eating pork, but was really craving it, so decided to make it worthy and this recipe looked damn fine!  I bought some plain white rice from an express Asian takeout place and it cost me $5 but I guess it was worth it, since it wan't gummy.  (I don't have good luck with long grain white rice - I make it mushy more times than not).  I also bought pork sirloin chops, they looked relatively lean compared to the center cut chops I looked at.



BUT, they were really cheap is why I purchased them.  I don't think I've ever used them before, but because I was going to pound the crap out of them, I hoped they'd be okay for this and would not be tough.  OH, and I used the stove and oven on this "heat wave" day.  😢

I started with the meat and the marinade.  The recipe says "corn flour" but I learned that's what Brits call cornstarch.  I pounded them first before putting into the marinade.


Ahhhh...stress relief.  A good way to start this long weekend!  I did each one between plastic.


I mixed all the ingredients and put it into a ziploc.  I put the meat in and massaged it well.  I let it sit in the fridge while I made the rice.  I jazzed up the fried a bit.  I added some green onions (3) and mushrooms (6oz, diced).  I also used "Egg Creations (low cholesterol)" instead of real eggs.  I fried the mushrooms first, then added the rice and green onions.  The liquid egg was next.


Last was the seasonings.  I moved this to a 13" x 9" pan that was sprayed with "Pam".


I fried the pork chops next.


I did mine a little different than she did hers.  I didn't add the water.  I was just going to finish cooking them in the sauce in the oven.  I browned them in avocado oil, two at a time and them put them on a plate to rest.


I stopped here for an hour or so.  The house was very warm now so I needed it to cool down before I finished.  My son was working late too, so I wanted to have it ready for when he got home.

For the sauce I changed from the recipe again and started by sauteing some sliced mushrooms (6 oz).


I used no salt tomato sauce (2 cups) instead of canned tomatoes too.  I preheated the oven (gasp) to 350°F.  I brought the sauce to a boil, then dipped the pork chops in, coating both sides and simmered for 15 minutes.



I placed the pork chops over the rice, then I poured the sauce over.


I added the fresh grated cheese on the top (I used 2 cups of Marble Cheddar).


I put this on foil lined baking sheet and in it went for 45 minutes.


It was time to serve, finally.


My son LOVED it.  He exclaimed, "Wow, this dish turned out to be a winner, didn't it"?  The pork, thankfully was fork tender.  I quite enjoyed it.  The melted cheese was king, in my opinion.  It was fun to try this new recipe - I've never made anything like it before.

No comments:

Post a Comment