Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Kale Caesar Salad

I had a meeting up where I used to work today and had a few minutes to spare prior.  It gave me a chance to go to a really good veggie store.  I was able to pick up a bunch of local kale for 79 cents and thought a crisp salad was in store for dinner.  I have my go-to Caesar dressing that I've been making for over 20 years now, but I was looking at recipes and decided to give this one a try for a change of pace.  I really liked that it was made with Greek yogurt!!  I always do mine with oil and raw egg, like a mayo.  I bought a nice Artisan baguette, but changed my mind and decided not to make the croutons so used these:



I mixed the dressing next and put my edits below.  LIME CAESAR DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup plain 0% fat Greek yogurt 
  • 1/2 cup freshly-grated Pecorino Romano
  • 3-4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Fresh cracked black pepper
  • 4 tablespoons 2% milk
It was really nice and thick, but I thinned it out with some 2% milk until it was runny.  Figured it would be easier to coat the greens.


I had a spoonful and it was really tasty!  Yum.  I put it in fridge so the flavors could meld.  I knew this was going to be a big salad and the only bowl I had for it was a popcorn bowl, but it had a lid at least.  I usually use it for my Caesar salads so everything can be mixed up well without falling out of the bowl.  I sliced up the kale and the romaine hearts.


I also used grape tomatoes so halved them, then tossed them in.  I put in the cheese and croutons and mixed it all together with my hands.  I covered and put in the fridge until it was time to serve.


I had some local Pacific snapper fillets that I was going to pan fry in some olive oil.  I seasoned them and then did that.  It only took a few minutes each side and that was done.  I took the salad out and tossed it with all the dressing.  I sliced some limes and served with the fish.  Below, I served my son some baby shrimp on his.


I really liked the dressing, it felt so guilt free and just like a good Caesar salad should taste.  This will definitely stay in my rotation when I make this.  The snapper was fresh as can be and this was a very enjoyable dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment