Sunday, December 10, 2017

Spicy & Sweet Pretzel Nut Mixture

I thought these would make nice token gifts for friends over the Christmas season.  I have never made any kind of "Nuts n Bolts" or nut snacks so I wanted to give it a try.  I looked at lots of recipes but liked this one  and tried it first.  I'm glad I did as it wasn't sweet enough and was also very spicy.  I didn't mind that, but I wasn't sure friends/guests would be so enthused.  What I didn't like was the smoked paprika (my own personal dislike).  My son ate some and I crushed the rest using them in a grain pilaf with dates, which was good.

Anyway, I really wanted a sweet, spicy and salty balance.  So, back to the drawing board and I tried my own recipe, picking my own spices... scary, I know!  However, I did get my inspiration from this recipe and followed his technique, mostly.  I also used some of the same ingredients.
  • 4 cups mixed raw nuts (I used 2 cups of pecans, 1 cup of walnuts and 1 cup of almonds)
  • 1 large egg white, beaten
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Five-Spice Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper 
  • 3 tablespoons organic maple syrup from Quebec
  • 1 tablespoon Maldon flaky sea salt
  • 2 cups small mini pretzels
    I used parchment on my largest baking sheet and spread the nuts over.  I roasted in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes and stirred once.


    In a bowl, whisk together the egg white, Old Bay, brown sugar, 5-spice, cayenne, and maple syrup.


    Add the warm nuts, stirring until coated.  Mix in the pretzels.


    4. Spread the mixture back on the baking sheet.


    I sprinkled with the Maldon salt here, trying to avoid the pretzels which are already salted.


    Return to the oven for 20 minutes, stirring twice during cooking.


    Remove from oven and cool for a half hour before separating the nuts and pretzels. 
    ---------------------------------------------------

    I was nervous as there was no time for re-do or to look for a new recipe, so this was going to be it...  I had my fingers crossed that it would be delicious and that I had chose the right spicing.  Everyone is always raving that "their nut recipe" is so addicting you can't stop eating it, and that's what I wanted.  

    And so..........they turned out great, in my opinion!  Everything I wanted for sweet, salty and spicy - a perfect balance.  Nothing was overpowering, it was harmony.  I was worried about the maple syrup but it was fine.  I enjoyed the flavor and did find the mixture addictive.  I wished I made more!  Below is how I packaged them.  I sealed with plastic wrap and attached a note and the date, saying to eat within 5 days.  🎅  I hoped they would enjoy so much that it would be one sitting.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment