Monday, December 25, 2017

Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole

We love tater tots and I like using them in casseroles once in a while.  🎄🎅 Christmas day is a good one for this. The ingredients I used were:

  • 1 package of Brown Sugar/Maple Johnsonville breakfast sausages, cooked and sliced into bite size pieces
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, diced with seeds and membrane removed
  • 4 green onions, sliced
  • 1 cup of grated aged Irish cheddar cheese
  • 1 package of frozen "Tater Tots"
  • 1 cup of grated Habanero cheddar cheese
  • 1 carton (equal to 6 eggs) no cholesterol liquid eggs
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
As there was only going to be 2 of us, I used a smaller casserole dish (11 x 7 inches).  I sprayed it with "Pam" first.  This pan has taken a serious beating over the years and years of use.  SOS pads will not clean the black off the handles any more and it is stained on the outsides.  But, I cannot part with it, so don't judge me - I've had it over 20 years now.  😉 I baked the sausages in the oven and then cut them into half inch pieces.  I put them in the dish when cooled.


I chopped the jalapeno.  It was a rare time that I removed stems and seeds but I didn't want it too hot, just the pepper flavor.  



The green onions were next and mixed into the pan.  I stirred in the eggs, S&P and then the Irish cheese.  


I topped with tater tots and put into a preheated 350°F oven for 35 minutes.  


I put the habanero cheese on the top and put it back in for another 10 minutes.



This was great!  The sausages were sweet and counter-balanced the jalapeno and habanero cheddar.  It was super cheesy!  You would not even know it was "fake eggs" if someone didn't tell you.  The tots were crispy and it was a very enjoyable dish.  There was lots left over for tomorrow and the day after.

No comments:

Post a Comment