Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Tortellini Skewers

I made these with an array of other dishes for guests.  It seemed like a nice appetizer to do.  I didn't follow her recipe quantities as I didn't need to make that much and frankly, they seemed a little off.  I used:

  • 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt to taste
  • 4 tablespoons jarred pesto (I used Kirkland brand), divided
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
  • 1 package (250 grams) tortellini - I used cheese tortellini covered with sheets of spinach, tomato and egg
  • 255 grams grape tomatoes
  • 500 grams (2 balls) fresh Mozzarella, cubed
  • ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
The recipe said to assemble the skewers and drizzle the sauce over.  I felt like I needed to toss all the ingredients in the pesto mix first and then drizzle some more over them when done.  I thought everything was pretty bland and needed as much flavor as I could give it.

I made the tortellini first.  I brought to a boil and then a low simmer.  I didn't want them to split or have the filling fall out.  This worked well and I let them cool.  I tossed with a bit of olive oil and S&P so they wouldn't dry out and/or stick to each other.


I mixed up the pesto, oil and vinegar with S&P and set it aside.


I cubed fresh mozza next and washed the tomatoes.  I tossed everything in the mix and then got out the skewers ($1 at the Dollar Store 😉).




I put a tomato on first, then the cheese and lastly the tortellini.  I used the red/green tortellini first as they were more pretty.  Surprisingly I ran out of tomatoes first.  I thought it would be the cheese.  Anyway, there was plenty.  There was a small bowl full of tortellini left and a few cheese blocks.  I served it to my son for lunch with some cubed salami as a salad.  He was happy.


I covered these on the tray with saran wrap and left in fridge until 'show time'.  Before serving, I drizzled more sauce over and garnished with parsley.  To me they looked festive, pretty and "appetizing".


I thought these were very tasty and fresh.  My appetizer menu was not "veggie forward" so this was lighter in that sense.  I liked the vinegar/pesto and there was a lot of flavor.  I would make these again.  A lot of these were eaten which is a good sign... Easy to make too.

No comments:

Post a Comment