Friday, March 23, 2018

Sriracha-Butter Cod with Garlicky Kale

I don't like to cook on Friday nights when starting the weekend.  However,  this was simple, so I gave it a go, tweaking it my way.

  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • Freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • 1 bunch curly kale, roughly chopped and stems removed
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 teaspoons of Sriracha
  • 1/4 cup low-sodium stock (whichever type you like)
  • 4 green onions, thinly sliced, divided
  • 4 (6- to 8-oz.) cod fillets ( I had a mix of cod and mahi mahi)

Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Toss together with kale and spread out evenly on a sheet pan. (I used parchment paper on it)


Bake until crisp (It only took 5 minutes for me to get crisp so I would suggest checking it often).


In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and whisk in Sriracha,  stock, and  pepper.  Simmer for 5 minutes. Toss in half the green onions, then cover and keep warm.  Much to my delight, it tasted rather appetizing.  


In a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat add remaining tablespoon oil.  Add the oil after the pan is heated.  Season cod with S&P.  Sauté cod until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.  All 5 pieces below fit perfectly in my cast iron pan.


Serve cod and mahi mahi with crispy kale and Sriracha sauce, to taste.  I served one piece of each type of fish.  Garnish with green onions and a lemon wedge.


Well, well, well, like I always say, simple is best.  The fish was tender and luscious.  It was absolutely perfectly cooked.  The sauce heightened and brightened the mild taste with a little zing.  The kale was crisp and garlicky and full of flavor.  Wow, what a pleasant outcome!  💝 To me, the cod was the star of this dish.  I asked my son and he said it was the mahi-mahi.  

No comments:

Post a Comment