Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Vegan Sichuan Shirataki Sesame Noodle Salad

Yup, those shirataki noodles are a godsend when watching carbs and zero calories too, what more could you ask for?  They are the perfect noodle substitute, especially in a dish like this.



Watching carbs is a full time job with me and I do better at it sometimes more than others.  I don't let it bother me, I just do the best I can.  This is an ideal recipe!  He said and I quote:  "It is all about balancing heat, acidity, and sweetness in the dressing".  I used 2 packs of noodles and adjusted the dressing slightly to make a little more.  It's his recipe ingredients below though.
  • 1 (8-ounce) package shirataki noodles, drained 
  • 1 teaspoon chili flakes (to taste)
  • 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns (I only had ground)
  • 1/4 cup avocado oil
  • 1 medium clove garlic, minced (I used a microplane)
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger (I used a microplane)
  • 3 tablespoons tahini (I used organic)
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese Chinkiang vinegar 
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce (I used low sodium)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (I used raw and less, about 1/2 a tbsp)
  • 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into thin strips
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions 
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves 
  • 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
  • 1/4 cup roasted peanuts crushed lightly in a ziploc with a mallet
I put the noodles in a strainer and rinsed well.  I then set it over a bowl to drain.


I put the chilies and the  Sichuan peppercorns in a ramekin. I heated the oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. I poured the hot oil over the chilies and Sichuan peppercorns hearing it sizzle.


I set it aside and mixed the garlic, ginger, sesame paste, vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar in a bowl.


I  poured the chili oil into a large bowl through a fine mesh strainer.  I stirred in the sauce and whisked.


I chopped the veggies.



I added the cucumbers, scallions, cilantro, sesame seeds and drained noodles.


I mixed until everything was coated with the sauce.  I put mine in the fridge to sit and let the flavors mingle at this point for about a half hour.  I served using crushed peanuts and pistachios to garnish.


This was damn fine.  The heat kicked in after the bite was done and was very pleasant with optimum intensity.  The cucumber, to me, was the star.  So fresh.  The tahini was spot on and not overpowering like peanut butter can be.  I love me some black vinegar too.  Enjoyed this immensely and will definitely be making it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment