Sunday, March 18, 2018

Vegan Lasagna with "Ricotta" and Mushroom "Meat" Sauce

This became my Sunday dinner project.  If it was good, I'd have lunch for the work week to come.  Well, even if it was bad, I'd have it for days to come, so fingers crossed... I'm a sucker for béchamel sauce in lasagna, so this recipe really appealed to me.  Also I've tried some store bought vegan "mozzarella" cheese (Daiya brand) and it did not taste good in the slightest to me.  I did a couple of minor edits, which I changed below.  It made me laugh when I told my son about it, he simply said very hesitantly, "...interesting".  😏


For the Vegan "Ricotta":
  • 1 (14-ounce; 395g) block firm tofu, drained
  • 1 cup (235ml) unflavored, unsweetend almond milk
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1.5 lbs fresh riced cauliflower from Costco
  • 2 tablespoons avocado oil
  • 1 large bunch of basil leaves, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Vegan Béchamel:
  • 2 cups (475ml) unflavored, unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 5 sprigs thyme
  • 10 whole black peppercorns
  • 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons avocado oil
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • Large pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
For the Lasagna:
  • 1 pound oven-ready noodles.  I soaked them in warm water for a half hour
  • 2 cans (398 ml each) organic, no salt, tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 lb. cremini mushrooms, small dice
  • 3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
  • 1 white onion, diced
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano 
  • 2 stalks of fresh basil
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
For the Vegan "Ricotta": I cut the tofu into 1 inch thick slabs.  I put it on paper towels and squished out any moisture I could. Set aside.


In a Dutch oven I combined almond milk and oregano. I added cauliflower and covered, heating the almond milk to a boil.


At that time I covered, until cauliflower was tender. 


I put in the oil, basil, nutritional yeast and garlic. I used my immersion blender, and mixed until very smooth. I added the tofu and puréed it into the cauliflower until well mixed.  I wanted it to look like ricotta.  Mine looked much "greener" than his did in his recipe picture, and with all the basil leaves, I think it should have.  It was exactly like ricotta in texture, but not in taste, but I wasn't expecting it to taste like the real thing...I seasoned with salt and pepper and set aside.

For the Béchamel: In a saucepan,  I mixed the almond milk , bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns and garlic. I brought it to a simmer for 20 minutes. I then strained it into a measuring cup and discarded the herbs.


In a saucepan,  I heated the  avocado oil over medium heat. I added the flour and whisked until the raw flour was cooked out.  Whisking constantly I added the almond milk in and stirred until it became a thickened bechamel sauce.  I stirred in nutmeg and S&P.

For the Lasagna: I made a quick pasta sauce by frying the onions, mushrooms and garlic in olive oil until soft.  How I chopped the mushrooms is below.


I added tomato paste and stirred a couple of minutes.  I added the canned tomato sauce, spices and simmered covered for 20 minutes.


I removed the basil stalks at that time.  It was delicious!  I made this first thing in the morning, to get it out of my way.

I preheated the oven to 400°F. I drained the pasta. In a 9- by 13-inch baking dish, I used cooking spray and put a thin layer of sauce.  I laid the noodles down.



I spread an even layer of vegan "ricotta" top, then spread a layer of tomato sauce on top of that. I spooned some of the béchamel over.  I swirled it.


I repeated alternating layers of pasta, "ricotta," tomato sauce, and béchamel sauce until baking dish was full. The final layer should be tomato sauce with béchamel drizzled on top. 


I put the baking dish on a baking sheet  lined with foil.  I baked for 40 minutes.  I let the lasagna rest 20 minutes before cutting. 


This was a shitload of dishes, pots and pans!!!  I cleaned as I went along so it was okay, but wow, just sayin'.  That being said, I was impressed!  It wasn't ooey gooey good, but it was rich and felt like comfort food.  Maybe just a tad bland, but it is what it is.  My son said it was not near as bad as he was expecting, though I know he won't ask for seconds.  I won't have any problem finishing this up.  Not bad, not bad at all... For reference, this was served on a side plate, so it's not a gigantic piece on a regular sized dinner plate.



No comments:

Post a Comment