Saturday, March 3, 2018

Spicy Caribbean Mahi Mahi

I picked up the mahi mahi at Costco in the frozen section.  It wasn't cheap at $37 for about ten 4 ounce portions.



The first time we tried it, I just pan fried it in olive oil and seasoned with S&P.  I made a chimichurri sauce and it was quite good.  I forgot how meaty this fish is.  It was like a steak.  Anyway, I saw this recipe and thought I'd try it this time round, though I'm not sure what makes it Caribbean as there's no ingredients that are used in that cooking?  

  • 1 pound mahi mahi fillets cut into four portions
  • 5-6 green scallions thinly sliced
  • 5 cloves garlic minced
  • 3 shallots thinly sliced
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 8- oz can good quality tomato sauce
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes depending on how spicy you like it
  • 2 bay leaves
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2-3 grinds of black pepper
  • ¾ cup water divided
  • juice of half a lemon
  • chopped parsley for garnish

It seemed simple and the sauce appealed to me.  I made minor edits.  I debated what to serve it over and chose organic tri-color quinoa and black beans which I cooked in low sodium veggie stock and some chili spicing.

As per her recipe, I heated the oil over medium low heat. In went the garlic and crushed chili flakes.


I chopped and added the shallots.



Green onions went in next.


I stirred until vegetables were soft, it took me about 15 minutes.

I added tomato sauce, bay leaves, fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt.  I mixed it and then laid the fish filets on top.


I put the lid on and let it steam in the liquid for 10 minutes on each side.


I took out the bay leaves, and garnished with the lemon and parsley.


Delicious!  This was a flawless way to cook the mahi mahi.  So tender and perfectly poached.  It would be hard not to make it this way each and every time as it was so veritably tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment