Monday, February 26, 2018

Ground Turkey Shepherd's Pie with Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash

I was at Costco and bought a bag of cauliflower florets.  I decided to make a pseudo Shepherd's pie which is one of my favorite comfort foods.  I remember reading somewhere that nutritional yeast helps the texture and flavor of cauliflower mash, so I added some of that.

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 red pepper, small dice
  • 1 carrot, peeled and cut in small dice
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3 leaves of curly kale, stripped off stems and chopped finely
  • 1 tablespoon Trader Joe's no salt "21 Seasoning Salute"
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon of "Kitchen Bouquet", for color
  • 1 cup of low sodium vegetable stock (I used "Better than Bouillon")
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
Topping:
  • 1 lb of cauliflower florets (steamed in microwave for 8 minutes)
  • 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup of 2% plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 head of garlic, roasted with a drizzle of olive oil and then squeezed out of the cloves
  • 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • 1 cup of old cheddar cheese, grated
I put the garlic in a 400°F oven to roast first, for about 45 minutes.



I made the filling next.


I sauteed the onion, bell pepper, carrot and garlic until soft.  Then I added the turkey and browned it.  It doesn't really turn brown, so I added the "Kitchen Bouquet", seasoning mix and Worster sauce.  I moved a spot for the tomato paste and cooked it a little.  Then I added in the broth and kale and simmered for about 10 minutes, uncovered.  I wanted the liquid to reduce.  I checked the seasoning and added another dash of Worcestershire sauce.  (This would have made fine "Sloppy Joe's" and is what the taste reminded me of).


I poured it into a 9 & 1/2" oval baking dish which I used cooking spray on first.


I riced the cauliflower in the food processor first.  Then I put it in glass pie plate with no water as it was wet from being rinsed well.  I covered it in loose plastic wrap and nuked for 5 minutes.  I checked progress and then did it for another 3.  I put it back into the food processor and added the olive oil, yogurt, roasted garlic, nutritional yeast, parsley and S&P.  Below, was before I added the yogurt.


I whirred it all up and then I realized I was missing something.  I pulsed it up with the yogurt and it all came together.  Let's be honest, mashed cauliflower will never, ever replace mashed potatoes.  It can look the same, and it did as below, but the taste will never compare.  That being said, I can eat it, no problem and it feels like comfort food without the guilt, so I'm all for it.


I sprinkled the cheese over and put it in the oven for 30 minutes.


 I let it rest for 15 minutes.



My son said it was yummy and didn't say a thing about the "mash" at all.  I asked him after he finished.  He said the cauliflower was quite good and he barely noticed it wasn't real potatoes.  I thought it was absolutely fantastic.  The filling was perfectly seasoned and had great flavor.  The mash was creamy and smooth and also spiced perfectly. The roasted garlic helped with that.  I think the cheddar was absolutely necessary in bringing it all together. 


No comments:

Post a Comment