Thursday, February 15, 2018

Roasted Carrot,Tomato & Onion Soup

I saw this recipe pop up on social media and it looked good.  I was still thinking about it at lunch so decided to make it for dinner tonight.  I made some adjustments to suit myself and what I did is below.

  • 2 bunches wild carrots, cut in 2 inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 8 cups vegetable stock (I used organic, low sodium "Better than Bouillon)
  • 1 piece ginger, an inch long, peeled
  • 1 large sweet onion, chopped in eighths
  • 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 large vine ripened tomatoes, quartered
  • Handful of fresh cilantro, stems included for broth, and leaves chopped for garnish


I lined a large baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkled the olive oil around.  I chopped the carrots, garlic, onions and tomatoes and tossed with a little more oil and S&P.  I baked these in a preheated 400°F oven for about an hour, tossing a couple of times.


There were some charred (black) pieces of onions that I didn't put in the soup, but I ate them - they tasted good, they just didn't look attractive.  The carrots were nice and charred underneath but the picture below doesn't show that.


I made the broth and added the ginger, and cilantro stems.


I simmered for 15 minutes.  I took the ginger out and chopped it small so it would puree easier.  I added in the veggies next and zapped with an immersion blender until it was all smooth.


I seasoned with some more S&P to taste and served.  Mine was garnished with cilantro.


I garnished my son's with some "French's" fried onions and feta cheese.


This was excellent!  I luckily hit all the flavor notes right on - well - debatable maybe(?) as the ginger was the dominant flavor, I thought.  However, that being said, the ginger and cilantro gave great zing and the carrots and onions were super sweet.  A nice balance, but a bit lopsided.  It will be interesting to try it tomorrow after it sits overnight.  The cracked pepper gave it just the right amount of spiciness.  Neither of us noticed the tomatoes, except for the darker color.  This was easy to make and a nice, filling vegetarian dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment