Sunday, February 4, 2018

Baked Tortellini with Pork Tenderloin

This wasn't what I planned for dinner, at all.  It turned out I forgot a few ingredients for the dish I was hoping to make but because it was Superbowl Sunday (Fly-Eagles-Fly!), I didn't want to send my son to the grocery store.  When I went shopping on Friday it was crazy everywhere, line ups down the aisles.  Junk food galore was on sale at each store and people were buying it up like crazy.  I could only imagine how horrible shopping today would be.  So, I found ingredients I had to use up and an idea was born.  This is another one where I'll never make it again but it was a good way to rid the fridge of expiring food.

  • 500 grams fresh tortellini (mine was Italian sausage), cooked and drained according to package directions
  • 1 container (5 oz) of fresh baby spinach
  • 2 cups of low sodium marinara sauce
  • 1/2 cup of jarred pesto sauce (I always buy Kirkland brand)
  • 1 pork tenderloin, cut into bite sized strips, about 2 inches
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 white onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 ball of fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
  • Herb bundle of basil, marjoram, savory and thyme, tied with twine
  • Fresh grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese, to taste 
I boiled the tortellini and then drained them.  I sliced the onion and garlic and put it into a dutch oven with some olive oil.  I started to cook them over medium heat.


I sliced the tenderloin into strips, removing all fat I encountered.  I discarded it.



I added them to the onions.  I seasoned with the cayenne and S&P.


I added the spinach next and stirred until wilted.  It disappeared to nothing.  I added in the sauces and herb bundle.  I covered and simmered until onions were soft, 25 minutes.  I removed the herbs at that time.  I mixed the tortellini in and poured it all into a cooking spray coated baking dish.  


I sliced the fresh mozza and laid them over the top.  


I preheated the oven to 350°F and put it in for 40 minutes.  I took it out and put some grated Parmesan over the top.  I let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.



I plated and garnished with more Parmesan.


This turned out surprisingly delightful.  No complaints.  The seasoning was perfect and the pork was tender.  Nice comfort food and lots left for lunches.  It was ready at "half-time" too, so timing worked well, though totally unplanned.

No comments:

Post a Comment