Thursday, February 22, 2018

Winter Salad with Bulgur, Radicchio, and Toasted Almonds

Well I've made plenty of summer salads, but don't recall ever doing a winter one.  It's certainly wintery outside...Brr...... I saw this and it became dinner tonight with my little tweaks.

  • 1 cup bulgur wheat (I cooked mine in low sodium veggie stock and per package directions)
  • 1/2 cup unsalted, dry toasted almonds
  • 1 head radicchio , torn into bite-size pieces
  • 1 (15-oz) can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed well 
  • 1/2 cup currants
  • 1/2 cup  chopped fresh parsley 
  • 1/2 cup of feta cheese, crumbled 
Vinaigrette:
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • Finely grated lemon zest from one lemon
  • Freshly squeezed lemon juice from one whole lemon
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar 
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 1 small clove garlic, minced 
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
I cooked the bulgur first.


I put it in the salad bowl and let it cool.  I added the almonds, radicchio, chickpeas, currants, and parsley.  My son picked up the radicchio and it was really expensive, $4.50 for the little head below:


For the vinaigrette, I added all the ingredients to a jar.  I shook it up until well combined.


I poured the vinaigrette and feta over the salad and tossed well.  I served at room temperature.


I'm feeling "under the weather", and don't have much of an appetite.  However, this was sooo tasty and packed a lot of nutritional bang for the buck.  The currants gave a nice sweetness that balanced the bitterness of the radicchio.  The feta added a nice saltiness and the almonds gave a good texture crunch.  This one's a keeper.  A perfect, filling meal... a little goes a long way... this serving was on a side plate.


No comments:

Post a Comment