Monday, February 5, 2018

Baked Sockeye Salmon with Pistachios and Garlic Cilantro Sauce

I had a wild sockeye salmon filet in the freezer that I took out.  I was looking for ideas and found this recipe and it looked great.  It's tricky with my son, because I would use fresh dill on the salmon every time but he dislikes it so much that I had to find an alternative.  I put my own spin on it and make a couple tweaks...I was very jealous of her cast iron baking dish though, I must say...


For the garlic cilantro sauce:
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 whole bunch fresh cilantro with stems - 1 inch at bottom cut off
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 lime, juiced
For the Salmon:
  • 1.25 lb salmon fillet (I left the skin on because we like it)
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
  • 1 large tomato, sliced into rounds
  • 1 lime, sliced into rounds
  • 1/2 cup of roasted, salted pistachios, crushed with mallet in a baggie
I preheated the oven to 425°F.

In my food processor, I added all the ingredients for the garlic cilantro sauce. I blended until cilantro pieces were tiny.  I let it sit in the fridge covered to meld the flavors and let the garlic develop. 


I put the oil in baking dish.  I seasoned the salmon with S&P on both sides and set it in the dish.


I ladled the sauce over the salmon, covering it completely.


I sprinkled the pistachios over.


I laid the tomato and lime slices over, alternating and then seasoned with S&P.  I thought it looked beautiful.


I baked for 20 minutes.  I took it out, covered with foil and for another 10 minutes.  I wanted it "just cooked".  


I served this with Ancient Grains, shallots, garlic, tomato and black kale cooked together in veggie stock.  I still gave myself a little dish of "dill dip" as I was craving it.  Below is "family style" and we split in two after I took the picture.  I got both tomatoes.  😋


This was very tasty.  The salmon was moist and there was great flavor going on.  It did not disappoint.  I would like to make this again when it is salmon season and use fresh instead of frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment