Saturday, February 17, 2018

Curried Coconut Mussels

I got these mussels at Costco.  I only have bought them once before, a few years ago as it is 2 packs of 3 lbs each.  I had to cook/eat them all and it was just too much as my son doesn't like them.



I split these with a co-worker though today and that was great.  It was only $6.50 each.  I like curry and was craving it, so I based my dinner on this recipe.  I used curry powder rather than the red curry paste and cilantro instead of basil and made other edits to my liking.

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil 
  • 2 large shallots, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger 
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced 
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped with innards and seeds
  • Pinch of dried chili flakes
  • 2 heaping teaspoons curry powder, I used Madras & Garam Masala
  • 1 can organic (400ml) light coconut milk, 
  • 1 teaspoon raw Turbinado sugar
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper , to taste
  • 3 pounds mussels, cleaning link is below
  • Handful of cilantro, chopped & divided 
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice and wedges for serving
  • Good quality rustic bread, I used an organic sourdough baguette

Before cooking, I put them in a colander and gave them a good rinse.


I used this on what to look for, which is how to clean and debeard mussels.  I found about a handful that had to be discarded and a couple that I pulled the beard off of.  I got all the Mise en Place done first, as this is one recipe that has to be that way.  It's boom, boom and done...My shallots and garlic are below:


I put a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. I added the oil and threw in the shallots, ginger, garlic, jalapeño, chili flakes and  sautéed 5 minutes, stirring until soft.


I mixed in curry the curry and fried for a minute or so.  I stirred constantly. I added the coconut milk, wine, sugar, and S&P.  I brought to a boil.

I put in the mussels.  I covered with a lid and cooked 5 minutes, until the mussels open. Throw away any ones that don't open.  I mixed in the cilantro and lime juice. I served.  I garnished with more cilantro and lime wedges.


The broth was amazing!  Best part of this and sooo good with dunked bread.  The mussels were good, not the biggest or plumpest I've had but fine.  They had a nice flavor.  My son even ate a bowl though he complained about the texture - still not his fave.  It felt like a restaurant quality meal to me and so quick and easy to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment