Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Herbed Tomato Gratin

I based my recipe on this one.  My grocery store by work sells local farm produce throughout the summer and this week they had "Old Time Tasty" tomatoes from Oliver, B.C.  They are like a beefsteak.  I tried one before I bought a bunch and I was very happy with it.  Sweet and delicious.  They were $2.99 a pound.  I pay $4.99 a pound from the "Tomato Man" at the farmer's market...

What I used:
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 
  • 4 slices Pain de Campagne bread cubes ( ½-inch thick & 1-inch cubed)
  • 300 grams goat cheese, crumbled
  • 1 cup grated fresh Pecorino Romano cheese
  • 2 stalks torn fresh basil, and for garnish
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar 
  • Kosher salt, to taste 
  • Fresh cracked pepper, to taste 
  • 3 pounds "Old Time Tasty" tomatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick

I preheated the oven to 400°F.  I used cooking spray in 13" x 9" baking dish.  I swirled olive oil into a non-stick skillet and browned the bread cubes.  I sauteed the garlic next for a minute. 


I put those two ingredients straight into the pan and tossed with the vinegar. 


I tucked in the goat cheese pieces and basil in and seasoned with pepper (there was enough salt in this).  


I washed, cut and shingled the tomatoes on top next, seasoning with pepper again. 


Then I sprinkled the Romano over.  I put this into the oven for 45 minutes. It smelled really, really good while baking...drool worthy...When the timer rang, I took it out. 


I garnished with more torn basil. I let it rest 10 minutes and then served. 


We loved this dish...everything seemed to balance together perfectly as ONE.  Garlic, basil, tomatoes, crisp country bread and goat cheese!  Show stopper kind of dish to be honest.  Any summer meal with fresh (non-hot house) tomatoes will be a STAR!  Mmmmmmm, so good.  Oh summer tomatoes... I love you. 💖


No comments:

Post a Comment